We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel suggestions...do I need to stay downtown?

Which Saint Louis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 6
Hotel suggestions...do I need to stay downtown?

I'll be passing through St. Louis this weekend with my husband and 8 month old. We're planning on going to the zoo, botanical gardens, arch, and possibly AB and Crown Candy. (Also, we plan on going to Ted Drewes, Gus's pretzels, the Hill, some possible restaurants: Frazer's, Chris' pankcakes, Uncle Bill's, kopperman's, Baily's choc. bar, iron barley, squires) I was going to book a room at the Hilton on olive st., but now don't know if we need to be downtown. We'll have our car. Any good hotels in a different st. louis neighborhood?

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
reviews: 61
1. Re: Hotel suggestions...do I need to stay downtown?

Let me suggest Napoleon's Retreat Bed and Breakfast in Lafayette Square, which is a great urban neigborhood with stunning mid-19th century architecture. You are close to the interstate for easy exploring, as well as Soulard and Benton Park (antiques and dining). If you stay there I heartily recommend Bailey's, which is in that neighborhood, and Niche, which is nearby in benton Park. Soulard has some excellent places, Franco's among them. Or, you can stay closer to Forest Park, I have some friends who stayed at the Hampton Inn-Forest Park and were well pleased. Downtown of course is an option, either Hiltons seems good as does the Westin. Have fun!!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 6
2. Re: Hotel suggestions...do I need to stay downtown?

Thank you clvier 1 - I just checked the B&B online, and the private cottage would've been perfect (traveling with a baby), but unfortunately they are booked.

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
3. Re: Hotel suggestions...do I need to stay downtown?

Too bad...try the Hampton I mentioned, also those restaurants I would recommend regardless of whether you are staying right nearby or not!

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
4. Re: Hotel suggestions...do I need to stay downtown?

Sorry, meant to add one more place: If you are into brunch, Nadoz Cafe at the Hotel Coronado is great!

usa
reviews: 22
5. Re: Hotel suggestions...do I need to stay downtown?

Try the Drury Inns. they are moderately priced and usually have suites so that if you put the baby down you can still be up. they have numerous hotels around the city. The Cheshire Inn is also across the street from the Zoo. You don't need to be right downtown to do what you have listed.

6. Re: Hotel suggestions...do I need to stay downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, September 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Saint Louis