We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a condo in this area?

Which Lake Ozark hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
reviews: 25
Buying a condo in this area?

We are looking for a place that isn't too long of a drive, that have extended good weather, is friendly, and has a lot to do when we are "laked-out".

Does Lake of the Ozarks fit the bill?

We like to boat, jet ski, hike, walk, tour, eat, find a live band in the evenings, relax, sit by the pool and read a book, find a good restaurant, go to the spa, golf, ride the Harley, go on ATV rides, learn tennis, learn Pilates (me) and crossfit, and explore.

Do you have any of these things? Should we keep looking at Branson? It seems like you have a lot of the same things without the cheesy shows (just my opinion that they are cheesy).

12 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
1. Re: Buying a condo in this area?

I think both Branson and Lake of the Ozarks have what you are looking for, but in my opinion, Branson is more family friendly with a cleaner lake, where as lake of the Ozarks is more of a party atmosphere.

2. Re: Buying a condo in this area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, March 21, 2014

Iowa
3. Re: Buying a condo in this area?

Thank you getawaygal and toes in the sand.

Toes in the Sand: do I know you from VIOL? I am really glad to hear that you like it better in the off season. We were concerned that we wouldn't use it during the off season--so it helps a lot hearing that.

We aren't looking for a party atmosphere. That said, Branson seems a little more geared for children or retired people (to me?). We really don't fit either demographic very well.

I am concerned about the Ozarks lake. I have been digging around tripadvisor and I have read people complaining about the lake looking "muddier" every year. Then I found a 2010 post about ecoli. Is that something common? I thought both areas had nice deep lakes and bacteria wouldn't be a problem.

If Lake of the Ozarks is prone to having problems with the water being swimmable I would prefer driving a little further to a cleaner lake.

KCK
reviews: 23
4. Re: Buying a condo in this area?

The e-coli problems have mainly been at the Public Beach areas and actually, they think it is caused by the geese. So I would think you could have that problem anyplace. The clarity of the lake varies from cove to cove.

Personal opinion, I would look at condo's in the 21mm to maybe the 40mm on the lake. Below the 20, the water can get pretty rough on the weekends.

If you are looking for a "party" atmosphere, it is easy to find, but when you don't feel like "party" there are plenty of more quiet areas to go to. The lake (sorry, I think of Lake of the Ozarks as "the lake") ;) has shopping, spas, wineries, parks, you name it. In the off season, some of the places on the water close for the season, or cut hours, but there are plenty of other places that stay open. I would advise you rent a condo at both places for a week and see which is a better fit for you.

From the description of what you like to do, I think LOTO is a better fit.

Edited: 10:39 am, June 25, 2013
Iowa
5. Re: Buying a condo in this area?

Thank you for all of you info. I think it will help to spend a week in each place. I really am partial to the Ozarks. When I look at the things to do I find a lot more for me and my family.

One condo we are looking at is Mirimar in Camdenton. It is mile marker 3 on the Niangua arm. So, that is a rougher area?

Ideally, I want a luxury condo or townhouse that isn't in rentals. Mirimar does some rentals. I don't like that but we have some friends with condos there that assure us it isn't a problem.

KCK
reviews: 23
6. Re: Buying a condo in this area?

Mirimar is very nice. The Niangua arm and the Little Niangua arms are both nice areas. The mile markers I gave are for the main channel, arms have their own numbering going from the main channel. Water is fairly calm. Good coves for coving (sp) out. Holiday weekends the entire lake can be rough.

Iowa
7. Re: Buying a condo in this area?

Coving out is exactly what we are looking for. We are coming next week and staying at our friends condo at Mirimar. Thank you for answering all of my questions. I feel pretty confident now.

After we get our condo I will be back asking what size of boat to get. (: to cove out.

Harrison, Arkansas
8. Re: Buying a condo in this area?

We sold our condo at Lands End on the 19mm a year ago and currently own a house at the 38mm. Miramar is a great area. My brother owns a condo on the Niangua 13, by the bridge. The Miramar area/Hwy 5 area is a good area for coving out and as the road expands to 3-4 lane, access will improve. Check out these condos for other options around Miramar....Tuscany, Bella Terra, Sunset Palms, Royal Palms. There are others, but I can't think of them right now.

If you need a recommendation for a real estate agent who knows condos, check out Kathy Beeler with The Beeler Group at Remax. She sold our condo last year at Lands End and knows her stuff! Good Luck!

Iowa
9. Re: Buying a condo in this area?

We have been working with a realtor and have looked at many of the condos mentioned. We really like the Sunset Palms condos most right now.

We went today to a few open houses and ended up at Laurie without a realtor. We looked at Blue Anchor and Millstone. I have spent most of my time researching Camdenton and I know very little about Laurie. What are your thoughts?

What we are looking for is a quality built 3 bedroom. We are finding a few of the condos lacking in finish work. A few of them seem like they couldn't have used cheaper materials. We want a nice pool and a boat slip. We want friendly people--not the kind you often see at 5 star resorts. We also want to find a condo in an area that isn't as rough or busy with boats as the most popular areas. When our family and friends are able to come it will very likely be the busiest weekends. We like the Ha Ha Tonka area. We also want limited rentals allowed.

We have looked at Tuscany but we found the people stuffy there. We have gone twice and cant really find anyone that will make eye contact with us and say hello until we were leaving. We liked Trinity but we were told they went bankrupt and the future is iffy. These condos are pushing us just past our financial comfort zone but we are willing to spend this amount to get what we want but we hoped to get the condo and slip for $200K.

Iowa
10. Re: Buying a condo in this area?

We went to Tuscany for the 3rd time and the people were very nice. But, we can't get a boat slip. We were about to put an offer on Sunset Palms but a local said that there were issues with the building. Specifically, the cement deck/ patios. We noticed the deck was sloping forward and to the side. We were told is was for rain/water runoff. Putting these two things together makes me want to throw my arms up and surrender the 2nd home idea and TRAVEL.

Disclaimer: I don't know if what the local said is true or false. I don't have any first hand knowledge of any of the condos. I thought both condos we narrowed our search down to we're beautiful.

Reply to: Buying a condo in this area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted