We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BBQ, where are you?

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
BBQ, where are you?

Where is the best BBQ place to eat at? Staying downtown for a weekend in a month but will have a car to travel for the best around town.

Kansas City...
reviews: 5
1. Re: BBQ, where are you?

Lots of opinion based on personal preference, whether one likes sweet or spicy etc. but my favorites are Gates (which has one location downtown) and Oklahoma Joes - their pulled pork is legendary. :)

2. Re: BBQ, where are you?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, March 21, 2014
KCK
reviews: 23
3. Re: BBQ, where are you?

Oklahoma Joes (my favorite) , LC's, Jack Stack, also Danny Edwards

http://dannyedwardsblvdbbq.com/about.html

All are good!

Maryland
reviews: 2
4. Re: BBQ, where are you?

Burnt ends at LC's.

Went to OK Joe's and they had no burnt ends and were a distance second to LC's.

Kansas
reviews: 85
5. Re: BBQ, where are you?

Jack Stack. Good Burnt ends and more. Cheesy Corn too

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Kansas City
reviews: 28
6. Re: BBQ, where are you?

Have you ever watched the show called Primal Grill on PBS? The host Steven Raichlen says his favorite and the best in town is Danny Edwards.

Springfield...
reviews: 36
7. Re: BBQ, where are you?

While it has been a few years since I was there, I have to say Gates & Sons. I will admit we only tried them and Arthur Bryant's while in KC, and thought Gates was the better of the two. We have also had some good BBQ while in NC, AR, OK, TX and TN and still think Gates has been the best BBQ we've had to date.

Kansas City...
8. Re: BBQ, where are you?

Well, Kansascitybarbeque.com lists 69 venues serving barbeque across the metro. All of them have their fans. But with a full weekend, you should be able to check out 6 or 8 of them, if you pace yourself.

I would second Jack's Stack, either in the Freight House/Crossroads district in Kansas City, MO, or the original in Martin City, on the far south end of Kansas City, MO, on Holmes Road at 135th Street.

Danny Edwards on Southwest Blvd is also good, as is LC's on the East Side on 47th Street/350 Highway near Sni-A-Bar Road.

I'd also put in a shout out for Smokestack, in Kansas City North, on North Oak at 64th Street, and the Woodyard on Merriam Lane in Kansas City, KS, between Lamar and 635.

Missouri
reviews: 146
9. Re: BBQ, where are you?

Jack Stack in KCMO is a great choice. The original location on the south side of town in the Martin City neighborhood would be my pick if location doesn't matter to you. Otherwise my second choice would probably be the Freight House location downtown.

Oklahoma Joe's is also great. It's a little more casual than Jack Stack, and the food is consistently good. I recommend the original location in KCK or the newest location in Leawood.

I'm also a big fan of Johnny's BBQ . It's been featured on Triple D, and I've never had a bad meal there.

Some other potential choices would be Woodyard Bar-B-Que in KCK or B B's Lawnside Bar-b-que or L.C.'s BBQ in KCMO.

Arthur Bryant's and Gate's are probably the most well known KC BBQ joints, but I personally wouldn't take a chance on them if you just have a weekend. Arthur Bryant's is very inconsistent. Sometimes it's great, and sometimes not at all. The line can be pretty long so I personally don't think it's worth it on a short trip. Gate's can be good too, but I've also found it to be inconsistent. Some of the restaurants have also been absolutely filthy inside during some of my visits.

10. Re: BBQ, where are you?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 07, 2014