We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steak house

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pine Bluff, AR
reviews: 1
Steak house

We are gonna be in Kansas city next week. My nephews main goal - eat a steak! Where is the best local steak place?

KCK
reviews: 23
1. Re: Steak house

Local, I would say Plaza III.

Salem, New Hampshire
reviews: 27
2. Re: Steak house

Plaza III is definitely good. There are other places if you want an "old time" steakhouse place, like Jess 'n Jim's in Martin City.

kansas city
3. Re: Steak house

"old time" steakhouse is The Golden Ox. It still has original carpet, furniture and deco. Food quality has declined and prices sky rocketed. The pictures of the old stock yard are a treasure.

Jess&Jims is a good choice as long as you don't mind the drive,

The orginal Hereford House had that old time feel but the owner burnt it to the ground a few years back. There are a couple other location across the city but no old time charm

Steak is a staple of the city, even Outback and Longhorn don't mess it up.

The Chop House in the Power and Light District has probably the highest quality of beef in the city/ state and you will pay for it. It is very very very good.

Salem, New Hampshire
reviews: 27
4. Re: Steak house

Another place worth considering is the Majestic Steakhouse downtown. There is usually live jazz downstairs, which is an added plus. Until recently, the reviews were very mediocre. But apparently there has been a "kitchen change" and both recent TA and OpenTable reviewers are giving this restaurant high marks. I always liked the inside of the place, so I'm glad to read the reviews that indicate the place has improved.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 102
5. Re: Steak house

The Majestic Steakhouse closed a few years back, then was reopened as the Majestic Restaurant. We were there 7 weeks ago. It is still nice, but it was more about the atmosphere and history, than the food.

Kansas City, MO
reviews: 3
6. Re: Steak house

I write a local food and wine blog for Kansas City so I'm going to respectfully disagree with some of these suggestions.

Plaza III is famous, but it lacks charm, good service and the steaks honestly are nothing to brag about.

It's true about the Majestic, the food isn't that good, it's more about the history and atmosphere.

801 Chop House is a huge restaurant based out of Omaha. It's not true to Kansas City, but they do offer good steaks at a very high price since they are in a high rent/tourist area.

Here would be my suggestions:

Starker's Reserve on the Plaza

J. Gilbert's

Room 39 (Check the menu online since it's seasonal, the 39th St. location is the best)

KCK
reviews: 23
7. Re: Steak house

If it doesn't need to be local, Ruth's Chris and Capital Grille on the Plaza are both good. Starkers is a good choice as is J Gilbert's (in Overland Park). The American is good also. Guess a lot depends on how much you want to spend. You can get a great steak at any of these, tab will run you about 30.00 for the steak, then add sides and salad, etc. So food will run you maybe $45-50 each plus drinks. Personally, I would not worry about the steak and instead head for BBQ :)

Kansas City, MO
reviews: 3
8. Re: Steak house

I do like Ruth's Chris, not a huge fan of Capital Grille based on the atmosphere. But, I figure when people come to KC, they want something local as opposed to chains.

True, BBQ here is king. If you are seeking BBQ, check out these spots:

Oklahoma Joe's (Mission Rd.)

Jack Stack BBQ

Danny Edward's BBQ

Arthur Bryant's (the one on Brooklyn)

9. Re: Steak house

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:47 am, July 14, 2013