We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KC Chiefs game

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mahtomedi, mn
reviews: 2
KC Chiefs game

Assuming the lockout ends, we have a group of guys planning on coming down for the Chiefs-Vikings game Oct 2. the plan is to stay in KC for three nights. I browsed the forum a bit, and hate asking these types of questions, but which area of KC should we stay in? I see the 2 places right by Arrowhead, but if were looking to try different BBQ places and bars/pubs without a lot of driving, which area is recommended? Are there any college campuses nearby where we could catch a game on Saturday? I

Thank you for the time.

Salem, New Hampshire
reviews: 27
1. Re: KC Chiefs game

If you want some "action" I recommend staying near the Power and Light District or the Westport area. That should give you the entertainment and food options within a couple of miles.

Check out the KU and MU schedules for college game options. KU is about an hour away, MU a little further, but both are easy interstate drives. Someone else will chime in with some of the other college football options, maybe other state colleges that I am not quite as familiar with.

Michelle

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Kansas City
reviews: 28
2. Re: KC Chiefs game

KU plays that weekend and it's there homecoming, it would be a rocking time in Lawrence and it probably won't be a sellout. Lawrence is only about 45 minutes away.

As far as hotels, i would stay on the Plaza, or Downtown, both are pretty nice areas with plenty of dining and drinking options and they are both centrally located to plenty of bbq options.

Some BBQ places worth trying

LC's BBQ near stadium (Best Burnt Ends and Pork)

Oklahoma Joe's

Arthur Bryants

Mahtomedi, mn
reviews: 2
3. Re: KC Chiefs game

Thank you for the responses. If we stay near the stadium, how far a drive is it to the landmark BBQ places that we see on TV and read about? Is there a bar or 2 nearby (not a hotel or a TGI Fridays type bar)? Some place to hang out and watch FB on TV.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Kansas City
4. Re: KC Chiefs game

It's kind dumpy and trashy around the stadiums, nothing really to eat either, there is an applebee's close to the stadium on blue ridge blvd.

810 zone on the plaza is a nice place to watch football. Another great place is tower tavern in Martini corner, they have good saturday specials

Edited: 5:06 pm, July 21, 2011
Overland Park...
reviews: 6
5. Re: KC Chiefs game

Do not stay near the stadiums. There is nothing else to do out there. The happening part of town now is the Power and Light district. There are several renovated hotels down there. The President is a good choice, right in the center of the action. Westport was the area to go like 15 years ago. That's changed and it's a rough hip hop/teen crowd today.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Kansas City
6. Re: KC Chiefs game

Westport is not a rough hip hop teen crowd, one bar that caters to that clientele called Americas pub is the reason but it doesn't describe the whole area.

Westport is a pretty fun area and I enjoy going there on the weekends, it's like the hipster area of KC kind of similar to Uptown in Minneapolis, it has some very good bars/restaurants like Beer Kitchen, Mccoy's/Foundry, and Westport Cafe and Bar

Salem, New Hampshire
7. Re: KC Chiefs game

To answer your question, if you stay at one of the hotels right across from the stadium, you would be about 15 minutes from the Power and Light District, with everything you would want in the way of sports bars, breweries, etc. You'd be about 20 minutes from Westport, also with some fun bars. There really is nothing in the immediate vicinity of the stadium hotels.

If you went east just a bit, to the Little Blue Parkway exit off I-70, there is a Buffalo Wild Wings that has lots of tv's and there are a few other chain restaurants right there.

Michelle

KCK
reviews: 23
8. Re: KC Chiefs game

Warrensburg is about 45 minutes away and the Mules play that weekend at home.

www.ucmo.edu/athletics/football/schedule/

BBQ places are spread out in this city . But, you could hit Gates, Arthur Bryants, Jack Stack, LC's, and Winslows from downtown with no problem.

Kansas City...
9. Re: KC Chiefs game

I second the posters who suggest staying near Westport or Power and Light. Lots of restaurants, bars, sports fans, and plenty to do in the evenings. The hotels near the stadium are just hotels with nothing near by.

Like WyCo said, the BBQ places are all over the place. But none are too far that you can't travel by car in under 30 minutes. My favorite is Oklahoma Joe's (recently ranked on some website as one of the top 12 BBQ restaurants in the world) with Gates being a close second.

If you want to catch a college game, check out KU, but buy your tickets early! Fun atmosphere and Lawrence is a great town. If you go there, stop by Allen Fieldhouse (on campus) and see their basketball museum.

I hope you enjoy Arrowhead. It's my favorite place to be on a Sunday!

Salem, New Hampshire
10. Re: KC Chiefs game

And when you go to Arrowhead, it's worth the cost of parking if you have a car, to check out the tailgating. Pick up sandwiches or bbq and do it yourself, then walk around the parking lots and take in the sights and smells. You won't be disappointed. People are friendly and you can wear your Vikings gear without worrying about a reaction, other than some friendly smack talk.

Michelle