We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Sayulita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but here goes. I'm planning a trip to Sayulita in May with my hubby and 2 year old daughter. It will most likely be a surf and stay package where we stay at aurinka bungalows.

My family is freaking out because they think all of Mexico is unsafe due to the drug wars, and are pressuring me not to book the trip. I have heard nothing but great things about Sayulita, and don't want to broadbrush all of mexico because certain areas are unsafe.

So, does anyone have any advice on this topic? Is my family unnecessarily worried? Any tips for staying safe in Mex with a small child?

Thanks so much! Once again, sorry for asking a question that I know gets asked a lot. I just want to do my due diligence so I can reassure my family it's ok.

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: safety?

"I don't want to broadbrush all of mexico because certain areas are unsafe."

and that is exactly what people that have never been to Mexico do, thats like having a murder in LA and saying all of California is unsafe.

Sayulita is safe, follow the same safety protocols you would at home and you will have a fantastic time.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
31,341 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: safety?

We felt safe in Puerto Vallarta, but leave to leave the city behind and arrive in Sayulita - that was night and day difference. Sayulita is very laid back - if I had small kids still, I would not hesitate to bring them here. Other than tripping over uneven side walk, you really shouldn't have any safety concerns. As stated above - precautions like when you travel anywhere, but nothing beyond that. It was a lovely place to stay! :)

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
1 review
3. Re: safety?

That is great advice.

denver, colorado
Level Contributor
283 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: safety?

We have been to Puerta Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta/Bucerias area for ten vacations and have never not felt safe. (have not made it north to Sayulita but heard it is beautiful and nice.)

I think the best advice I ever received was from a guy sitting next to me on the airplane on my first visit when he said you need to use common sense like you would in any foreign country or at home!..., things like not wondering around town late at night by yourself etc. Don't do anything illegal or anything that would get you involved with police.

The US government has a website regarding areas in Mexico that they do not recommend traveling to and most of them are inland and on the borders of US/Mexico. Cannot recall the name of the website but suggest googling it and sharing the information with your family. There is very minimal amount of crime in the resort destination areas of Mexico.

Also, I have spoken with a lot of the people/locals that live and work there. I have heard many of them express that tourism is the main industry there and the government has taken measures to make the area safe as it can be. Several of the employess at the resorts and have told me that they feel safer living in the area with their children and family then the inland areas of Mexico where most of them are from. Another tourist told me that PV and the area has been ranked the 2nd most safest tourist destination in the world.

I would not go back continuously if I did not believe it to be safe.

Hope this helps. Feel free to respond with any other questions.

Gibsons, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: safety?

Just got back from 2 weeks in Mexico, our 4th year in a row, with our son. I have never felt anything but safe and secure, and unlike at home, wouldn't think twice about walking home at night, or exploring the beaches early in the morning. locals and tourists are helpful and supportive, and I never worried about thefts or other dangers. Have a great trip! You and your 2 year old will love it.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: safety?

thanks so much everyone! i will share your comments with my family and hopefully it will calm their nerves a bit. i appreciate your input! :)

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: safety?

Go the the SayulitaLife.com website and on the title page there links to a couple of articles on safety in this area of Mexico. Statistically it is more dangerous in most American cities!! Chicago, Miami, etc are all more dangerous than Sayulita and this area of Mexico. It is amazing how the news media distorts the "news".

We have been going to this area of Mexico for the past 10+ years, never had an issue. By we that is myself, my wife and 3 daughters that have run around on the beach since they were 5 or 6 years old. We use common sense such as locking our doors and windows, and not being flashy or bringing a lot of money or valuables. Lock stuff in a safe when you go out, and lock your place, as most crimes in the area are crimes of opportunity.

This is a great community, lots of friendly Mexican families, plus tourists, hippies, and expats from all over. Kids play in the plaza at night, it is a unique place with a great vibe. You will have a great time, but don't tell everyone... it will get too busy down here. LOL.

3 posts
8. Re: safety?

Sayulitalife Web site is nothing but a Happy Feel Good page. Nothing negative about the place is allowed to stay. The alleged travel warnings are all generic. Don't rely on it. It's just a chamber of commerce booster.

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: safety?

I assume you have not heard the news...from my area a local 2 year old killed there a few days ago.

however, we were in Punta de Mita just recently and felt perfectly safe, but did not use any babysitters.

Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
10. Re: safety?

That's a very sad story, MtnMatt44. Although this unfortunate incident is unlikely to signal the beginning of a new Mexican trend, it's a good reminder that strange and nasty things can happen anywhere.