We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise from Montreal to Iles de la Madeleine

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 23
Cruise from Montreal to Iles de la Madeleine

Is anyone familiar with this cruise? How long should we plan to visit? I'm hoping we can see most of the island by car or a guided tour. Is it possible to take a ferry from the islands to Newfoundland? We toured the Gaspesie last year and really enjoyed it but would not include it in this trip. Any suggestions welcomed.

3 replies to this topic
Barrie, Canada
reviews: 12
1. Re: Cruise from Montreal to Iles de la Madeleine

Google the "Canada over the edge" from the air series to catch a terrific 1 hour documentary on the islands. Have a look below as well.

tourismeilesdelamadeleine.com/magdalen-islan…

Iles de la...
2. Re: Cruise from Montreal to Iles de la Madeleine

There is no direct ferry from the Magdalen Islands to Newfoundland. You can spend two days on the 'Vacancier' ferry from Montreal to the islands, 3 days on the islands and return. Or make it a one way trip by car and stay a week or so then take the 'Madeleine' ferry to PEI. From there take the Wood Islands ferry ton NS or the bridge to NB and drive to Sidney, Cape Breton and take the ferry to Port-aux-Basques (western NFLD) or to Saint John's (eastern NFLD).

Edited: 11:37 am, March 05, 2012
Iles de la...
reviews: 56
3. Re: Cruise from Montreal to Iles de la Madeleine

I took the cruise boat as a local, not as a tourist, and the cruise is nice but overpriced and the cabins are VERY uncomfortable, based on everyone I met opinion. The ship looks more like an old ship than a luxury cruise boat like in the Carribeans - be aware of it, it is safe but kind of ugly and uncomfortable with very few entertainement. The service on board and food are good though. That being said, the 2 days of the cruise are certainly not enough to visit our beautiful islands :) You should stay at least 7 days so take one cruise in and the second one out. You also have the option, if you have a car, to drive to Prince Edward Island and take the ferry (book in advance). It is way less expensive and you will be able to go where you want with your car.

Gaspesie and the Maggies are really not the same and especially not located in the same area.

No, there are no ferries from the Magdalen Islands to NewFoundland and it is kind of far from here ! There ferry boat to NFLD leaves from Sidney, Nova Scotia, so if you have a car, I would suggest you to drive to PEI to go to the Maggies and drive to Sidney to go to NFLD - only if you have LOTS of time because it is far and it is a huge province to visit, you won't tour it in a week ;)

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions !

Edited: 2:08 am, March 12, 2012
Reply to: Cruise from Montreal to Iles de la Madeleine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Iles de la Madeleine