We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Trip w/o Car

Which Branson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
First Time Trip w/o Car

Hey everyone, looking to make a first time trip to Branson with my Mom for a surprise birthday gift.

Looking to go around Christmas time and are from the Chicago area. Either traveling by train or bus, what is the most cost efficient way of heading to Branson, rather not fly. Even if it takes a day to get there that's fine.

I appreciate your help and am looking forward to seeing Andy Williams later this year. I am hoping that he is in good spirits and is still going strong. One of the greatest singers of all time!

Missouri
reviews: 19
1. Re: First Time Trip w/o Car

Unfortunately, not really sure which would be the cheapest. However, you do realize that you will need a car to get around in Branson? There are no transit systems/shuttles. Guess you could take a taxi every where, but that would get pretty expensive. Therefore, if you are able, I would suggest that you drive to Branson, which would probably be about a 9 hr drive from Chicago.

2. Re: First Time Trip w/o Car

I agree that you probably need a car in Branson. The only other thing I can think of would be to get on one of the tour busses that I always see in Branson. Im not sure where they come from, but there are always some coming and going from Branson. I guess you would just google "tour busses to Branson" and see what you can come up with

Arkansas Ozarks
reviews: 19
3. Re: First Time Trip w/o Car

Unless you are on a bus tour, you really need a car to get around Branson.

Chicago, IL
4. Re: First Time Trip w/o Car

Why no public transportation in Branson? A train or bus would be perfect for the Branson strip don't you think?

Nebraska
5. Re: First Time Trip w/o Car

Branson has taxi service but no local bus service. Most tourists have a car unless they are on a bus trip. Branson is very spread out. I always tell my guests to rent a car if they are flying in.

I think the suggestion for getting on a bus tour is an excellent idea.

If you are coming strictly to see Andy Williams don’t wait to come around Christmas. His Christmas show is over Dec 12th. FYI, Andy has been battling bladder cancer since 2011. He had to bow out of his shows last year but they were carried out by other performers so the show could go on. His Christmas show is scheduled for this year but I’m on a "wait and see" if he will be in it. After all he is in his mid 80’s and has been fighting a rough battle.

Pasadena, Texas
reviews: 12
6. Re: First Time Trip w/o Car

I just read that Andy Williams is not doing well at all.

I would rent a car and go that route.

7. Re: First Time Trip w/o Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 18, 2013