We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clean, safe hotel for 1 night?

Which Hattiesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Abilene, Texas
reviews: 34
Clean, safe hotel for 1 night?

We will be driving back from vacationing in Orlando and figured Hattiesburg would be a good 1/2 point to stop. Looking for a clean, safe area to stay at for 1 night. Any suggestions?

6 replies to this topic
Mississippi
reviews: 9
1. Re: Clean, safe hotel for 1 night?

Are you driving to Abilene, TX. If so Hattiesburg is out of your way unless you just want to visit MS. You should drive W on I 10 to I 49 N to Shreveport, LA then W on I 20 to Abilene. If so I could give you a lot of help,

If you go to Hattiesburg you must be planning on going N to Jackson, MS and then W to Abilene on I 20. I think it's out of your way but there are nice hotels in Hattiesburg. Be sure to take the I59/Highway 98 bypass around Hattiesburg on the W side of town. Don't go staight through town. There are a lot of hotels along that route which will carry you to Highway 49 which goes N to Jackson.

Mississippi
2. Re: Clean, safe hotel for 1 night?

Look at the Hattiesburg hotels on the left side of this page. Fairfield Inn is perfect. It's on the right side of I 59 which will allow you to get off I59 on the right and get back on also without having to go to the other side fo the I59.

Go W on 98 or Hardy Street to Leatha's for outstanding BBQ. It's a mile or so W of I 59 on the S side behind a RV sales joint. Watch for the smoke.

Leatha's BBQ Inn @ 6374 Hwy. 98, Hattiesburg, MS. 601 - 271 - 6003. *

Grapevine, Texas
Destination Expert
for Grapevine
reviews: 58
3. Re: Clean, safe hotel for 1 night?

axle, Thanks for the heads up about the hotels listed in the left sidebar.

Most beneficial to me as I'm planning a trip that way as well. Appears that if a large room isn't an requirement, the Microtel is the best room for the $$ (value,clean,service).

Cal2net, if you do take the I10 route to I49, be certain to make time for a meal in/around Lafayette for great Cajun/Creole.

Mississippi
4. Re: Clean, safe hotel for 1 night?

Mmmmm........Good food around Lafayette.

Get off I 10 at Exit 115 in Henderson, LA and go E on Highway 352 to Henderson Levee Road to Pat's Fisherman's Wharf for good cajun food. Go to Whiskey River Landing for good music and cold drinks.

Pat's Fisherman's Wharf @ 1008 Henderson Levee Rd., Henderson, LA 337 - 228 - 7512.

http://www.patsfishermanswharf.com/

Whiskey River Landing @ 1365 Henderson Levee Road, Breaux Bridge, LA 337 - 228 - 2277.

http://www.whiskeyriverlanding.net/

Get off I 10 at Exit 109 in Breaux Bridge and go S on Rees Street or Highway 328 and go to Le Cafe for outstanding Po Boys. Or get Off I 10 at Exit 109 and go N on Highway 328 which is Anse Broussard Highway also to Poche Bridge Road. Go N to Main Highway and Poche Market and Restaurant for good Cajun cuisine for lunch. This is a buffet so you might really like it if you are in a hurry.

Le Cafe @ 124 Rees St., Breaux Bridge, LA 337 - 332 - 2500.

Poche's Market and Restaurant @ 3015 Main Hwy., Breaux Bridge, LA. 337 - 332 - 2108.

http://www.pochesmarket.com/

Get off I 10 at Exit 101 in Lafayette, LA then go S on Hwy. 182 which is N University. Go less than a mile to Creole Cafe for good country breakfast or plate lunch.

Creole Cafe @ 1227 N. University Ave., Lafayette, LA 337 - 266 - 4648.

Or get off I 10 at Exit 101 in Lafayette, LA and go S on Hwy. 182 which is N University. Go S on University and it becomes W University. Take a right on Johsnton St. and go three blocks and take a right on W St. Mary Blvd.then go one block where you will find Old Thyme Grocery for good road food and the best po boys in LA.

Old Tyme Grocery @ 218 West Saint Mary Blvd., Lafayette, LA 337 - 235 - 8165.

Or get off I 10 in Lafayette, LA at Exit 101 and go S on Hwy. 182 which is N University. Go S on University and it becomes W University then it becomes E University. Go to Pinhook and take a right then go about 6 blocks to Blue Dog Cafe for great road food.

Blue Dog Cafe @ 1211 West Pinhook Road, Lafayette, LA 337 - 237 - 0005.

http://www.bluedogcafe.com/

Mississippi
5. Re: Clean, safe hotel for 1 night?

That's a busy IS at # 98 and I 59. The USM campus is just E of that area. Don't forget the BBQ at Leatha's which is W of that IS. Courtyard is nice also. The Shed is a fun joint for BBQ, drinks and music.

Courtyard by Marriott @ 119 Grand Drive, Hattiesburg, MS 601 - 268 - 3050.

marriott.com/hotels/…

The Shed BBQ @ 126 Mobile Street, Hattiesburg, MS. 601 - 336- 6755.

theshedbbq.com/ordereze/…Summary.aspx

Abilene, Texas
reviews: 34
6. Re: Clean, safe hotel for 1 night?

Thank you all for your input. Reasoning behind my directions is what my mapping was bringing up including GPS. Didn't think going through Jackson and Hattiesburg would be out of my way. Just figured Hattiesburg/Jackson area would be a 1/2 point for the trip back home. Something to think about.

Reply to: Clean, safe hotel for 1 night?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted