We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans To mobile, Al

Which Biloxi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 15
New Orleans To mobile, Al

I'll be in New Orleans for a week, and while my partner is in a conference, I thought I'd take a road trip to Mobile (as it's only 2 hours away- 3 if I take the scenic route). I'd like to visit the USS ALABAMA BATTLESHIP, and will likely just stop at places that I feel like. But is there anything I must see, or stop at on the drive?

Moline, Illinois
reviews: 27
1. Re: New Orleans To mobile, Al

I'm assuming by scenic route, you mean highway 90. There are parts that are beautiful and some that are not. I love the stretch between Bay St. Louis, MS and Ocean Springs, MS in particular. There are wonderful chainsaw carvings along the way (carved in the remnents of trees after Katrina), some great restaurants (love the Buttercup in Bay St. Louis, Half Shell Oyster House in Gulfport or Biloxi, and Bayview Gourmet in Ocean Springs). Ocean Springs also has a wonderful downtown area with a lot of shops. You can also see the rebuilding that is going on after Katrina in those towns. Sadly, there are still a lot of missing homes along the highway.

Vancouver, Canada
2. Re: New Orleans To mobile, Al

Thank you! Yes, that's the route I was planning to take. I plan to just drive along the water and stop at places that look interesting, but since It covers such a long stretch, I'm sure there a lot of little spots I might miss. Thanks for the suggestions- I'll be sure to visit all of those!

Opp, Alabama
reviews: 95
3. Re: New Orleans To mobile, Al

We drove the stretch of 90 between Pass Christian and AL on Tuesday and it was amazing!! We stopped at a restaurant, state park, souvenir shops. I wrote reviews on the first two. Wanted to see the Jefferson Davis house but not for $9.

If I was going back the same way in a loop like you are, I would try to get east w/o dawdling, confirm where you want to stop, then come back west at a much much more leisurely pace. Almost everything is on the north side of the road, so if you keep stopping on your way east, it's a lot of left turns across a lot of traffic, which really eats your time, it's very tight sitting in the median to get back into the east flow.

Once you go past Pascagoulah, the scenery is not so much, just freeway, just so you know what to expect.

Vancouver, Canada
4. Re: New Orleans To mobile, Al

Thank you, that's great advise! Especially if I leave early in the morning (7 am), as it will be busier/nicer on the drive back. I think I might pay the $9- after the cost of the flight and hotel, $ isn't so bad, especially if I'm only there once. I'll check out your reviews too!

moss point
reviews: 6
5. Re: New Orleans To mobile, Al

i am originally from Mobile and now live in Mississippi. There is a sand island charter tour in Gulfport I think its at harbour marine. Its a day trip to an island with consessions. It is beautiful, if you like white beaches and shallow water.

Let me caution you on the traffic in and around new orleans. My husband works there and I traveled over to see him this Friday at 4:00 the traffic was awful. He says its that way all the time. We ate at Smitty's seafood rest- had a platter that was served in a boat enough food for 3 people easy its 43.95. In New Orleans there is a neat aquarium. Hwy 90 in the biloxi area is beautiful you will drive right by the beach. Ocean Springs is a nice town big oaks line the streets with shops on each side. Has a cute beach area with a walking path. When you leave there I would get on I-10 to travel to Mobile.The battleship is a nice trip it is on Mobile Bay so no beach- and if you have the time go over the bay-way to fairhope beach, long pier and beautiful area. Good seafood on the causeway- Felix's, original oyster house,Blue Gill is nice you can sit outside under a covered area, boats come up to the dock get out and eat.

If you had the time Gulf Shores or Dauphin Island is beautiful. There is a bird santucary on Dauphin Island that has a lake, a walking path to the beach its pretty. Gulf Shores beautiful beach area white sandy beaches.

Hope you have a good time.

Opp, Alabama
reviews: 95
6. Re: New Orleans To mobile, Al

I apologize for my wording about the Jefferson Davis house. I didn't mean in any way to imply that I don't think it's worth $9 to visit. We had simply declared spending for that vacation to be over by that time and our original intention was to just take a few pics. I hope my comment didn't sway any desire you had to see this historic landmark, which I have not crossed off of my own list of things I'd still like to see.

7. Re: New Orleans To mobile, Al

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 11, 2014