We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2014 Winter Carnival

Which Saint Paul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 3
2014 Winter Carnival

Can someone suggest a hotel convenient to the Winter Carnival activities? (And not too expensive). We will be traveling by Amtrak and want to avoid getting a car. Any and all recommendations about the Winter Carnival will be appreciated. Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Chicago
reviews: 3
1. Re: 2014 Winter Carnival

Ohhh I just heard about The Depot...would that be a good location for Carnival activities? Is 1 day enough to enjoy the Carnival? Or is a longer visit needed?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
2. Re: 2014 Winter Carnival

I think you mean The Depot in Minneapolis, in which case it would not be convenient at all to the Winter Carnival in St. Paul. The Depot houses two hotels -- Renaissance and Residence Inn, FYI.

With events generally concentrated on Rice Park in downtown St. Paul, the most convenient hotel is the St. Paul Hotel. Luxury hotel and spendy. Others are the Doubletree and the residence Inn, and another block or two is the Holiday Inn. All walking distance. But keep in mind, this is always a very cold time of year up here. Probably in Chicago too, but every year I've gone to the carnival it has been really cold, which actually is part of the fun.

I'm not sure who you have in your group -- ages and interests. And what events piqued your interest to get you heading up our way. It's not the same experience every day. You have widely varying events from the Beer Dabbler to the coronation to the kids day activities to the Boreas Grand Parade. And of course ice carving.

If you just went on a Saturday to see some ice carvings, do some skating, and generally see the sights, one day is plenty. But see the calendar for the list of events because the things that drew you to the carnival might be happening days apart. Not to be wishy washy but it depends on what you want to see.

Vadnais Heights...
3. Re: 2014 Winter Carnival

Without a car, you are at a bit of a disadvantage since the carnival events are spread out over a week or so and at different locations. Most of the outdoor events are out of downtown, but some core events like parades, Klondike Kate contest are centered in the downtown area. the skating in Rice Park was some events and is across the street from the St. Paul Hotel (not cheap) that is the traditional headquarters of the Carnival Royalty. The carnival is an event to enjoy the cold and snub the residents nose up in the air against winter. The locals spread the activities out over the city and suburbs and do not worry about winter commuting and driving. The downtown area is the core of the parades, ice sculptures, skating and bars hopping, hoping to be there when Vulcan and his crew maraud the city day and night and do crazy things on a whim, but they travel in an old fire truck.

Dick

I would suggest getting the carnival schedule on line and see if your day in town matches up with the events.

Reply to: 2014 Winter Carnival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted