We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Awesome Restaurant for the College Set

Which Saint Paul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bozeman, Montana
reviews: 3
Awesome Restaurant for the College Set

My neice goes to McCalester College, and I want to get her a gift certificate to a restaurant for Christmas. I'd love either the hippest breakfast spot or one of the college kid s' favorite, trendy hot spots - coffee shop, pizza place, etc. For sure a locally-owned place - not a chain. Thanks for any suggestions.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 86
1. Re: Awesome Restaurant for the College Set

Staying relatively near to Macalester, two places off the top of my head would include either Dixies On Grand (www.dixiesongrand.com) or The Happy Gnome (www.thehappygnome.com). Both serve alcohol, but also serve food (if your niece is not of age to drink or you don't want to encourage such...)

I'm sure others will come up with ideas too...

Dallas, Texas
2. Re: Awesome Restaurant for the College Set

Just thought of one more idea from looking at another post. Consider the Nook (www.crnook.com).

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
3. Re: Awesome Restaurant for the College Set

wouldbeworldtraveler brings up a great question re: alcohol. Lots of places in the area are bar/restaurants (like Blue Door Pub for example and Happy Gnome as mentioned above). But very popular pl;aces and still could work.

I can't boast expertise on what is hip with that age crowd, but have a look at 128 Cafe on Cleveland. Cool little place with good service and food, not too far away.

And there is always Snuffy's Malt Shop too.

Saint Paul...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Awesome Restaurant for the College Set

Some Random thoughts:

Grandview - great breakfasts

The Neighborhood Cafe - Even better breakfast

Plums

Grandview

Cecil's Deli

Italian Pie Shoppe - Good pizza and virtually on the Mac campus

Billy's On Grand

Axel's Bonfire

Wild Onion

Bozeman, Montana
reviews: 3
5. Re: Awesome Restaurant for the College Set

Wow. Thanks so much everyone - this is great information, and I appreciate it. Will research a few of these and pick one of them, for sure.

Dallas, Texas
6. Re: Awesome Restaurant for the College Set

Let us know what you choose and what your niece thinks of it. I'm sure we would all be interested in the feedback!

7. Re: Awesome Restaurant for the College Set

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, January 20, 2014