We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Paul not safe

Which Saint Paul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
reviews: 23
St Paul not safe

We were in St Paul for the weekend, and stopped by the St Paul Cathedral. We were in the church for about a half an hour and came out to find that our car window had been broken out and my purse was stolen from the floor. The police said it happens all the time, the mission is only 3 blocks away and not to go there, we would get a gun in our face. Wow. Not going to be rushing back!

20 replies to this topic
Minnesota
reviews: 3
1. Re: St Paul not safe

While it's too bad, that type of thing could happen in practically any city in the country. Especially if your purse was at all visible. Also, find it hard to believe that you were told by a policeman that you would get a gun in your face. It's true that the area by the mission has a lot of petty crime, but you're obviously venting over an unfortunate incident.

There are areas of St. Paul and Minneapolis I would avoid, but the areas around the Cathedral or downtown are certainly not those unless it would be late in the evening. I guess you'll just have to go to Chicago, St. Louis, or Kansas City from now on.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 15
2. Re: St Paul not safe

I've learned never ever to leave valuables in plain view. Locking them in the trunk would have been a great deterrent.

It was an expensive lesson to learn, and I bet one that you won't forget, where ever to travel to.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 86
3. Re: St Paul not safe

Definitely unfortunate and I don't want to belittle your situation, but I cannot agree that St. Paul is inherently unsafe. I have attended Mass at the Cathedral and have not had that experience (and am a little surprised that it did happen). Like any city, there are crime concerns but many people, shop, eat, and live within St. Paul (including the Cathedral area) without incident.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 86
4. Re: St Paul not safe

Definitely unfortunate and I don't want to belittle your situation, but I cannot agree that St. Paul is inherently unsafe. I have attended Mass at the Cathedral and have not had that experience (and am a little surprised that it did happen). Like any city, there are crime concerns but many people, shop, eat, and live within St. Paul (including the Cathedral area) without incident.

Saint Paul...
reviews: 4
5. Re: St Paul not safe

Been to the Cathedral literally hundreds (thousands?) of times and never had a problem. In fact, in retirement I hope a Cathedral Hill condo or townhouse is in our future, one of the numerous wonderful neighborhoods in St. Paul and the Twin Cities.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
6. Re: St Paul not safe

a gun in your face? I'm having a hard time believing

A. Someone told you that and

B. That would happen

Agree with the others. St. Paul is a safe town, but car breakins can happen anywhere. I had my car broken into in Eden Prairie once. About the least likely place to expect something bad to happen.

Manitoba
reviews: 36
7. Re: St Paul not safe

It certainly was an unfortunate incident, but NOWHERE is it 'safe' to leave valuables in plain sight in your vehicle - it's like an invitation. Unfortunately for you, a lesson learned the hard way. Sorry.

Lassen National...
reviews: 11
8. Re: St Paul not safe

I just saw this & this is a no-brainer. Even in an isolated area in the boonies, you don't leave a purse on the floor of your vehicle.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 347
9. Re: St Paul not safe

I have walked around downtown St Paul tons of times (daytime and nighttime) and never felt unsafe (and my car has never been touched). I think you were unlucky.

Saint Paul
reviews: 54
10. Re: St Paul not safe

I live here and I don't feel unsafe.

Reply to: St Paul not safe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted