We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get around Red Wing

Which Red Wing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
White Bear Lake...
1 post
Best way to get around Red Wing

I am traveling alone and I was wondering the best get around red wing. walking? bus? taxi? car?

12 replies to this topic
Minnesota
Level Contributor
918 posts
406 reviews
1. Re: Best way to get around Red Wing

I assume that you are driving. Red Wing is a small city, but you will need a car. You could walk from most hotels to the shops.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
2. Re: Best way to get around Red Wing

Being a local the best way to get around would be your own car. Downtown you can park and walk almost anywhere but it depends where you are staying and such. I would not take the taxi they are very expensive in town. . Let me knkow if you would like more info. They do have a transit system of what we call The ride its a buck or two and will take you around but I wouldn't recomend it

Combined Locks...
Level Contributor
72 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Best way to get around Red Wing

Thinking about doing an Amtrak excursion with my wife & two boys this weekend. Can anyone give me tips on what to do, where to stay? Would a car rental be necessary? Thanks!!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
4. Re: Best way to get around Red Wing

There are many of things to do in red wing. This weekend we are having river city days. There are many things going on this weekend down at baypoint park. There are many different places to stay it depends on your budget and what not. I am not sure if there is a place to rent a car in town but I am sure you can try the dealership. There is a taxi that runs around town and also a small bus service. You can ride the trolly to take a tour of historic red wing on there. You could hike barns bluff. You could go up to welch and go tubing down the cannon river. The only hotel downtown is the st. james other wise there is other hotels towards the north side of town and the walk would be about a miles or so downtown. I would suggest calling around to make sure there are rooms available since it will be the weekend. If you have any other questions let me know. I am a local so I know just a little bit about this town

Combined Locks...
Level Contributor
72 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Best way to get around Red Wing

Wow, great info smilee. Thanks!

Quick question: Is the Amtrak station near the middle of town?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
6. Re: Best way to get around Red Wing

The amtrak is located next to the river right in the downtown area.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
7. Re: Best way to get around Red Wing

Here is what I have found about car rental. It would seem that the St. James has a car rental but I am sure its limited here is the link and I would call to make sure they have something available. www.hertz.com/rentacar/location/index.jsp…

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Best way to get around Red Wing

For next year I was planning an Amtrak trip from Minneapolis to Milwaukee with some interesting stopovers along the way.

Another poster on the WI forum suggested a stop-over in Red Wing. I would like to do that since I have never been in the region at all but am wondering how much I can see without a car and in one day. I would get off the train and resume my train trip the next day. renting a car is not option since I do not know how to drive. Walking for a prolonged time is not a problem, provided streets are pedestrian friendly.

Like to hear any advice.

Thanks,

Mimi

Edited: 3:05 pm, August 22, 2012
Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
536 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Best way to get around Red Wing

Hello again Mimi. I think smilee provides some good advice about transportation options regarding the trolley, etc. I imagine it's not quite as convenient as the Suncoast Trolley.:) There are several shops and restaurants in the downtown area close to the train station, and a good walker wouldn't have problems walking to places along Old Main St.

Besides the St. James Hotel and chain hotels further out, Red Wing has several highly considered b&b's.

Here's the website for their official tourism guide. http://www.redwing.org/

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
31 reviews
10. Re: Best way to get around Red Wing

Thank you again, Britphile.

Will check the website for tourism guide.

You are right that the Suncoast Trolley will probably have few matches anywhere.

While in Red Wing I will not expect to be out in the small hours and habitually walk 12-15 miles in the course of a week,so I am confident downtown will be within my range, provided it is pedestrian friendly with sidewalks etc.

Reply to: Best way to get around Red Wing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted