We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about walkability

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Question about walkability

My wife and I will be visiting Minneapolis in early November. We're staying at the Marquette, and our plans include some of the breweries/taprooms on the other side of the river (612, Indeed, Dangerous Man), as well as dinner one night at Bar La Grassa.

If we took a cab to 612, for example, could we then walk safely to the other breweries? And what's the walk like from the hotel to Bar La Grassa. I'm not so concerned with distance (we live in Philadelphia and walk almost everywhere), as I am if these are feasible walks (sidewalks, crossing highways, bad neighborhoods, etc.).

Thanks for the help.

9 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
1. Re: Question about walkability

As you probably know weather could change your plans. It could be pleasant in early Nov or it could be very cold. But if you're from Philly you know that and know how to handle cold. But you would be talking about a very long walk on a nice day and a nasty one in the cold.

I would encourage you to make the walk across the Hennepin Bridge up to NE Mpls to whichever stop you want to make first. After walking to the others, you might consider a taxi back to the Marquette (or over to Bar La Grassa). I would guess you would finish up at Dangerous Man given the layout. From there I would encourage you to taxi if the light is getting rare. Not a dangerous neighborhood or anything. But it's unfamiliar to you and it won't have the safety of groups of people around like you will find in the more populous areas of NE and Mpls in general. Plus, you'll more than likely be a little wobbly after three brewery/taproom visits.

I would keep the numbers of a few cab companies in your phone and call for a ride to either La Grassa or the Marquette.

But to answer your question on the walk itself, it should be almost entirely sidewalked. Can't say for certain every block up in the far north part of NE near Dangerous Man, tho, but my recollection is that. Not my neighborhood, tho. I'm in the south part of the city. And aside from the famous Nordeast pub crawls I don't walk around there all that much.

Edited: 3:26 pm, October 16, 2013
2. Re: Question about walkability

Thanks, mntoathens. Weather could definitely be an x-factor, you're right.

Vadnais Heights...
3. Re: Question about walkability

All the advance planning can be fruitless at that time of the year.

Walking in downtown is never a problem in the weather extremes (extensive 2nd floor skyway system 24/7), but you will be out of that area.

You may find nice weather (up to 70F) or possibly a foot or two of snow.

Fortunately it is not far and there are always cabs around for that reason.

Dick

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 15
4. Re: Question about walkability

We did that same tour this summer and it ROCKED.

From end to end maybe 1.5 miles.

I would not walk it.

If you go on a Sat maybe Shannon and I could join you.

Fulton too should be on your list.

Very walkable or quick ride on the light rail to Target Field - end of the line.

5. Re: Question about walkability

We'll be doing it on Friday after arriving and checking in to the hotel. Saturday is the Penn State-Minnesota football game, the reason for our visit. Definitely planning to hit Fulton at some point also.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 15
6. Re: Question about walkability

Fun

What time Fri ?

You are really close to Psycho Suzis

Google it -

One of our favourates.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
7. Re: Question about walkability

Kind of an ironic twist -- I ended up at Indeed and Dangerous Man last night. I had not been to Dangerous Man before.

Indeed is def the better of the two as far as the beer. I didn't like the DM beer much. Indeed has a couple of really good beers, including their flagship beer Daytripper.

Anyway, in going from Indeed to Dangerous Man it was all sidewalk. Walk along 13th as there are a number of bars and restaurants (Erte, Peacock Lounge, 331, Modern Cafe) to keep you interested. Otherwise the area is just strict residential. Northeast is a neighborhood bar kind of place.

Dangerous Man does not serve food but they do allow you to bring it in. If you are considering it, grab something from Anchor Fish and Chips like a block a way. Really good.

Both taprooms have a great atmosphere. Altho it can be hard to get a beer unless you are at the bar. The lines form at the serving area if you are not seated at the bar.

8. Re: Question about walkability

Cool. Thanks for following up. Looking forward to some new beers we can't get in PA.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
9. Re: Question about walkability

I wonder if you are familiar with Harriet Brewing. You didn't mention it, but it would be one of the easier ones (other than Fulton) to reach given you could take a train from downtown -- about 12 minutes ride from Nicollet Mall or Gov't Center light rail stop. I wouldn't change your plan as it is now because it sounds great. But it is another one to add to the list. Unfort it's not near any other tap rooms to make it more worthwhile.

Reply to: Question about walkability
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted