We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vikings in December

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 2
Vikings in December

We are visiting in December for the Vikings/Eagles game. Please help me with a few questions;

1. Are we crazy? This is weather related. Should we expect to be able to sight see and generally move around outdoors?

2. Any suggestions for local attractions at this time of the year?

3. Which hotel is closest to some nightlife and near a light rail stop so we can get to the dome; Hilton Garden Inn, Doubletree, or The Marquette? Also, are any near the skyways?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

17 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
1. Re: Vikings in December

1. Not crazy. Yes, Minnesotans "move around" quite well in the wintertime. Road services are well equipped, possibly the best.

2. Indoor ones. Museums, theaters, etc.

3. If it fits your budget, go with The Marquette.

Saint Paul...
reviews: 4
2. Re: Vikings in December

We move around all winter....but usually on skis. Ba-dum-TA!

Shen I was a kid we lived in the Baltimore-Washington DC area. He always said he'd leave the east coast and it would be around 30 degrees and arrive in MN when it was around 0, and it was much more comfortable in the Twin Cities. It may be colder but the air is drier and feels more comfortable.

You won't have any problems.

Philadelphia, PA
3. Re: Vikings in December

Thank you!

Philadelphia, PA
4. Re: Vikings in December

Thank you

Saint Paul...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Vikings in December

Can you tell I was watching a hockey game when I posted? Wow is that one bad post.

When my dad would travel back to the twin cities....

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 15
6. Re: Vikings in December

Marquette

Marriott City Centre

Radisson

Crowne Plaza

Minneapolis Grand

All on 7th Street - on SkyWay - and close together.

You could walk to Vikings.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
7. Re: Vikings in December

Of the hotels listed, the Marquette is more central to nightlife and restaurants.

Are you a tailgater? The lot will get going just before 7 -- regardless of temperature I am proud to say. In fact, I think the colder weather brings out more tailgaters than nice weather because all the old fans from the Met Stadium era love showing off how unafraid of the cold they are.

One of the most packed I have seen the main gen admission tailgate lot was for the Eagles playoff game at the dome at the end of the 2008 season. It was about 25 below zero. It was January tho, and even if it's possible, it's more likely to be somewhere in the teens to 20s. Just bring some layers and find some local fans who have a heat source. Grill, mainly.

Otherwise along the Vikings Plaza they have tents to take in pregame festivities. Not really my cup of tea., But maybe brunch at Ike's, then head over for a walk through the tailgate lot to see the real festivities.

The lot is along Portland avenue between 3rd and 4th

Philadelphia, PA
8. Re: Vikings in December

Thanks for the reply. We are looking forward to the "warm" reception and, hopefully, a still meaningful game.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
9. Re: Vikings in December

You'll get some heckles. But overall most people will be interested to hear about your drive/flight, where you're staying, some war stories about being a fan of a team that (like the Vikings) loves to let its team down in unimaginable ways.

Just be a good sport and people will welcome you in. That's exactly how it went down for the Cleveland game a few weeks back.

Terra Ceia, Florida
reviews: 35
10. Re: Vikings in December

We are staying at the Hilton (not Hilton Garden) downtown this weekend. We are from Florida and deciding weather to rent a car or take light rail. Is the Hilton near a light rail station? Is it close to the Skyways? Can we walk staying mostly indoors from the Hilton to the Vikings game?

Reply to: Vikings in December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted