We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Minneapolis in 3 weeks where should we go?

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shelby, Michigan
Moving to Minneapolis in 3 weeks where should we go?

We are being sent to Minneapolis for my husbands job and are thinking of living downtown somewhere. I want to live somewhere I can easily walk to use public transportation and is safe as well. We were thinking of renting a condo or apartment. It would be great to have lots to do near us. What are some good neighborhoods or buildings to look into?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
1. Re: Moving to Minneapolis in 3 weeks where should we go?

First, downtown Minneapolis is safe. I've been there at all hours and never felt unsafe. Minneapolis has a large and vibrant population that lives downtown in condos/townhomes. Over the years the infrastructure of grocery and convenience stores has expanded hugely. If you are looking to relocate downtown, my advice is talk to a relocation agent at your husband's employer OR a real estate agent who specializes in short or long term leases. While you might get some opinions here, I think either of these 2 options will offer the breadth of what properties are available - and there are many. TripAdvisor is not really meant to be a relocation forum.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 427
2. Re: Moving to Minneapolis in 3 weeks where should we go?

The area around the Guthrie Theatre and the Mississippi River is nice and there are lots of nearby attractions in this part of Minneapolis. They have built a lot of nice apartments in this area in the last few years and they are all close to the bus line on Washington Avenue. A friend of the family lives in this area and loves it.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 17
3. Re: Moving to Minneapolis in 3 weeks where should we go?

I live and work downtown and my commute is 1 block on the SkyWay.

Consider looking at these buildings to start:

CentreVillage

Grant Park

SkyScape

Six Quebec

Laurel Village

Minneapolis...
reviews: 88
4. Re: Moving to Minneapolis in 3 weeks where should we go?

I would look in the North Loop area. Not Downtown proper, but extremely close, and there are a lot of bars, restaurants, shops, and other things to keep you entertained, plus easy access to the river. The downside is that rent is generally high in this area.

I would consider the Uptown area as well...it's a short bus, car, or bike ride (or even walk) away from downtown, plenty to do and access to our great trails and lakes, but not quite as hectic as downtown. I live in Uptown, and I love it.

Minneapolis, MN
reviews: 25
5. Re: Moving to Minneapolis in 3 weeks where should we go?

I second the Mill District (Riverfront/Stone Arch bridge area) - a great place to "live" in you are going to live downtown. The North Loop is also a really great area and basically right north of the Mill District area. I'm not super familiar with the livability of the heart of downtown Mpls but just anecdotally it seems like one of those areas that is really busy during the week and then a little stark on the weekends. (at least during the day).

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 17
6. Re: Moving to Minneapolis in 3 weeks where should we go?

If you don't have an agent to buy or lease -

Google the Downtown Resource Group.

Even if you do, they have a robust site with building / neighbourhood particulars.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
7. Re: Moving to Minneapolis in 3 weeks where should we go?

I second Downtown Resource Group, which is what I PM'd to the OP. No agency has their expertise in urban living in Minneapolis

8. Re: Moving to Minneapolis in 3 weeks where should we go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 07, 2014