We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay in real neighborhood

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
reviews: 264
stay in real neighborhood

Looking for a B&B in a neighborhood with some history to it, where real people live...where you can walk to nice restaurants and shops. We are looking at the boat in St Paul (Covington). Is it as great in person as the website looks? What is the neighborhood like where the boat is located? Thanks for any advice.

Saint Paul...
reviews: 17
1. Re: stay in real neighborhood

Hello, While I havent stayed there, I have heard good reviews. There was a write up in the paper too that told about this special location with the fanstatic views of St Paul. Heres their webste: http://www.covingtoninn.com/index2.htm

I would also suggest the Summit Avenue area of St paul, filled with historic stately houses along a tree lined street in the heart of St Paul.

I havent stayed here either but if you are looking for a B&B, you could review these options- http://www.chatsworth-bb.com/ or bedandbreakfast.com/minnesota/cathedral-hill…

Enjoy....

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
2. Re: stay in real neighborhood

Chatsworth near Summit Avenue in St, Paul is not a bad option. Never stayed, but I've been inside. And the neighborhood is beautiful. Pretty historic area. Has a Web site.

http://www.chatsworth-bb.com/

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
3. Re: stay in real neighborhood

Thanks for the responses. We decided to give the tow boat B&B(Covington) a try. It looks like a different kind of experience. My wife likes walking around historic neighborhoods and those little shopping areas which sometimes are close by with unique shops and cafes. Would Summit Avenue be that kind of place? We are thinking of trying to get tickets to Great Gatsby at the Guthrie Theater. Anybody seen that?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
4. Re: stay in real neighborhood

You might need to hit the other side of the river (Minneapolis) if it's shops you're looking for.

But Summit Avenue is gorgeous. Beautiful homes and mansions, well-kept parkways and a nice walk. But St. Paul has less of the small family-owned shops than Minneapolis, in my opinion, unitl you get near the downtown area.

I can't come up with a good neighborhood with shops I'd recommend at the moment. Let me think on it.

I can't help with input on the boat, but I have always heard great things.

If you're up for about a 25-minute drive (all interstate) from St. Paul, you should check out Stillwater. That is one of the oldest cities in Minnesota, on the St. Croix river. It's what you're looking for to a T. It's all charm. Really old downtown. It's beautiful.

Stop me if I'm telling you something you already know. Not sure how much you know about the area.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
5. Re: stay in real neighborhood

Thanks and please continue to give me advice. This is helpful info as we have never been to Twin-Cities. I'd like my wife to have a great time in Twin-Cities for a couple days and am trying to plan trip around things she'd like, such as I have described. Also looking for a really interesting, creative restaurant where a couple might go on a rare occasion that the kids are not with them and remember that place for a long time in a positive way. Not looking for a chain or steak place or fried foods.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
6. Re: stay in real neighborhood

I'd give Stillwater serious consideration for a home base. Unless you're committed to St. Paul, which is great too because there's more around it.

I don't know how much you want to be in the metro area. If you do, then maybe schedule a one- to two-night bed and breakfast trip to Stillwater. Every woman I know loves Stillwater (for the reasons you mentioned -- shops, walking, historic downtown), and actually I do too. They have nice restaurants there, and no chain restaurants either. I believe all family-owned, which is how it should be.

But it's about 30 minutes from Minneapolis, 25 from St. Paul. It's on the border with Wisconsin. So I guess it really depends on what you want to do. If you are tied to being in the metro (which is great too) then I'd anchor there and take a trip to Stillwater for whatever time you can spare.

If you anchor in St. Paul, you have tons of restaurants to choose from. I guess a lot depends on whether you need to be close to your home base for cab fare or if you don't mind driving. I always cab to restaurants so I can have a few cocktails and not sweat it.

Let me know your situation and I can make recommendations from there. I know a few pretty good restaurant in the metro, though the names of the ones in Stillwater elude me.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
7. Re: stay in real neighborhood

Don't mean to give you the full-court press about Stillwater, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I read about what you were looking for.

Here's a glmpse of the downtown.

metrocouncil.org/planning/stcroixvalley/Down…

And the city web site:

http://www.ci.stillwater.mn.us/

Hope it helps

minnesota
8. Re: stay in real neighborhood

Don't know if you've taken your trip yet, but a wonderful neighborhood to browse in St. Paul is Grand Avenue. One block off of Summit Ave. Lots of quant shops and restaurants, a few chains like Pottery Barn and J Crew. Great food and bakery items at Cafe Latte. You could spend a whole day in this area...Historic homes, Governor's Mansion, beautiful churches. Very cool, old historic neighborhood.

Minneapolis
reviews: 17
9. Re: stay in real neighborhood

Although its expensive, W.A. Frost in St. Paul sounds like the type of place you might be looking for. They have a website - wafrost.com - I have been there with my wife for special nights out and have enjoyed it.

Saint Paul...
reviews: 4
10. Re: stay in real neighborhood

I would add that Frost's has an outstanding patio if it's a nice evening.