We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using the public buses in the Minneapolis St. Paul area

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
La Habra, California
reviews: 9
Using the public buses in the Minneapolis St. Paul area

Hi, I will be visiting the Twin Cities area (staying at the Microtel Inn in Bloomington) from Oct. 5 to Oct. 13. However, I will be relying almost, if not exclusively on public transit. I was wondering do you know if there are printed individual bus maps and schedules and a printed system bus map available? I have checked the Metro Transit website and have found the information helpful there but would also like to have the schedules and maps in printed format, if possible.

The other question I have is that the routes often have letters next to them and I'm assuming that the letter is a variation of the route. For example, the line 3A goes through Como Park but the 3B runs a few blocks or so south of the park. Am I correct on this and how does one keep track of which letter goes where?

Thank you in advance for any replies! They are much appreciated!

17 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
1. Re: Using the public buses in the Minneapolis St. Paul area

on metrotransit.com you can order a schedule by mail or you can print a schedule off for any route you click on.

La Habra, California
2. Re: Using the public buses in the Minneapolis St. Paul area

Thank you for your reply. As I further examined the metro website, I noticed that, too. Do you know if Metro has a location or store in Minneapolis that has the schedules or maps already printed?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
3. Re: Using the public buses in the Minneapolis St. Paul area

I thought the maps you print out at the website (pdf) are similar to the ones you would get on the bus or transit station. I know you can get a specific map at some of the main transit centers, like the Mall or downtown. For me, I use google maps and select public transit as my option - very good solution from a mobile phone. Here's more ideas:

metrotransit.org/apps-put-transit-in-the-pal…

Edited: 8:59 pm, August 25, 2013
La Habra, California
4. Re: Using the public buses in the Minneapolis St. Paul area

Thank you so much bk_t1 for that link--it is extraordinarily helpful. I'm clueless to apps and the new technology of today, but I'm going to have to get educated rather fast, lol! Is there a website or book that explains apps for newbies like me in a way that's easy for non-techies to understand?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
5. Re: Using the public buses in the Minneapolis St. Paul area

There are a couple helpful blogs I read - Lifehacker and Gizmodo - which keep track of top apps and techie stuff. Other useful and useless information, too.

La Habra, California
6. Re: Using the public buses in the Minneapolis St. Paul area

Thanks bk_t1!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
7. Re: Using the public buses in the Minneapolis St. Paul area

I would call metro transit and have them mail you the pamphlets for the routes you want to use. I know they can be grabbed on any bus, but I think you want to have them in hand before the trip to help planning. Just research using the interactive map on their site to learn what routes you want and give them a list of routes you need paper schedules/maps for

La Habra, California
8. Re: Using the public buses in the Minneapolis St. Paul area

Thank you mntoathens for that advice--I will definitely consider doing that as well as printing the individual maps and schedules via the metro website.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 15
9. Re: Using the public buses in the Minneapolis St. Paul area

Plan on Lightrail too to downtown Minneapolis.

You can feasibly walk all downtown, then Express Bus to St Paul. 10 miles.

You can call Metro Transit each day for route assistance.

Edited: 10:33 pm, August 26, 2013
La Habra, California
10. Re: Using the public buses in the Minneapolis St. Paul area

ty Downtown Minneapolis for the info--the lightrail should be fun. I plan to use the new Red line to go to Cedar Grove Transfer Center and take the 440 bus from there to the Minnesota Zoo in Apple Valley. I hope to be able to use public transit to go to the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum as well, but I probably won't know if I can till at least mid to late September since transit company that runs buses nearby the Arboretum will be changing its' service from what I've been told by the company. However, there are so many places I want to go--the Bakken Museum, the Russian Arts Museum, Wabash St. Caves, Como Park Conservatory and Zoo, Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Walker Art Museum, the Minnesota State Capital, Midtown Global Market, Weisman Art Museum, Theodore Wirth Park, the Chain of Lakes, Wood Lake Nature Center in Richfield--as well as certain restaurants, that I hope I can keep track of all the different buses I need to get to those places. I didn't mention the attractions in either the Minneapolis or St. Paul downtowns because I know how to get to those areas as well as Minnehaha Park and Waterfall which I also want to see but know how to get there via the Blue Line. I can't wait to go and experience your wonderful metropolis!

Reply to: Using the public buses in the Minneapolis St. Paul area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted