We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minneapolis and places to go around there

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Bergen, New...
reviews: 14
Minneapolis and places to go around there

We are driving to Minneapolis from NJ for my daughter's softball tournament but then we have a week before we come home, last year we went to Chicago, this year I wanted to do something different, I was even thinking Mount Rushmore, we are probably never going to go that way again.

I want some suggestions of interesting things to do. Help!! Last time I posted here when I went to Arizona I got great suggestions, you guys are awesome!

Thanks!!

Jeannie

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
reviews: 128
1. Re: Minneapolis and places to go around there

From Minneapolis to the Black Hills is about ten hours. Do you have exactly 7 days of time to spare? If you want to drive the ten hours straight through, it would be doable as that would give you five full days in the Hills. If you don't want to drive it straight through, that would make four days of driving time and 3 full days in the Hills. There is a lot more to see out there than just Mt. Rushmore (Badlands, Devil's Tower, Custer State Park) and most people on the SD forum (where you might also want to post this question if you're giving this serious thought) would tell you that 3 days is not enough time. So, first decide if you want to drive this straight through or not and then I would post on the SD forum and ask what they think you can see in three vs. five days.

If you decide to stay in MN, I'd recommend the Stone Arch Bridge, Mill City Museum, Science Museum, History Museum, Mall of America, Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, a drive past the historic mansions on Summit Avenue, Fort Snelling and Minnehaha Park/Falls. Others on here will also have great suggestions. You could also take a day trip and do a scenic drive down hwy 61 as far as Wabasha or Winona. The Mississippi River Valley is beautiful in that area.

Another option would be to drive up to Duluth on Lake Superior. Lots to do up there and not as far to travel as the Black Hills.

Sorry, my post is kind of all over the place. Have a great trip regardless of where you decide to go!

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
reviews: 137
2. Re: Minneapolis and places to go around there

I would agree with 3174. Esp if you can get back to MN at some point to explore, goto the Dakotas. I've visited the highlights in 3 days, but we did drive straight thru, and that was on my way to Denver.

The only thing I would consider is does your trip coincide with the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally 8/5-11. Will you be staying in places that participate? If so, it does make for a much noisier, crowded, congested visit, even the week before and the week after.

Edited: 9:04 am, July 26, 2013
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
3. Re: Minneapolis and places to go around there

It probably seemed closer because they are bordering states, but like 3174 said, it's a really long drive and you have to spend that 10 hours both ways. All the way across MN and all the way across SD. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I just wanted to emphasize what 3174 said -- that it might be a bigger investment of time than you thought. When you're already driving from NJ to MN.

I liked the idea of a shorter drive to see the north shore (Duluth and Grand Marais?) or a small northern MN town on or near a nice interior lake and wildlife -- like Ely.

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
4. Re: Minneapolis and places to go around there

Oh yes, like Bonnie said do not go to the Black Hills during the Sturgis Rally. You will not find lodging and if you should luck out and find a room, it will be MUCH higher than the normal rate. Thousands of bikers will be out there, driving all over the Hills.

North Bergen, New...
5. Re: Minneapolis and places to go around there

Thank you so much guys, its true it makes sense not to drive an addtl 10 hrs the opposite way. I guess I can always see Mt. Rushmore on a different trip. How far is the north shore? Is it nice? Lots to do? I am traveling with my husband and my kids that are 18 and 21.

North Bergen, New...
6. Re: Minneapolis and places to go around there

Hi thanks for the input, how is that drive down towards the Mississippi River that you mentioned?

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
7. Re: Minneapolis and places to go around there

You could poke around Red Wing. It's been awhile since I've been there, so others may have better info. on this. Wabasha has Lark Toys, which is a neat place to visit and the Eagle Center. Mostly, it's just really picturesque seeing the steep bluffs that line both sides of the river.

I just typed up a Duluth travel report and had a fabulous vacation there with the kids. This is only about three hours north of Minneapolis. You may want to check that out. It's on a recently posted thread. I'd highly recommend it. I think you will find more for kids to do up there.

Edited: 8:03 pm, August 06, 2013
Woodbury, Minnesota
reviews: 7
8. Re: Minneapolis and places to go around there

Duluth is 2.5 hours north of Minneapolis and Grand Marais 2.5 more. It's a great trip. You could spend a couple of days in Duluth and a few in Grand Marais area. Spirit Mtn in Duluth has a zip line and alpine slide and Lutsen near Grand Marais has an alpine slide. Between Duluth and Grand Marais take old Hwy 61 and eat at Scenic Cafe. North of Two Harbors stop at the many state parks on your way to Grand Marais like Gooseberry, Split Rock Lighthouse, Tettegouche, Temperance and Cascade. Check out the many posts about both areas.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 83
9. Re: Minneapolis and places to go around there

I would suggest a drive up to the north. The north shore, Ely, Voyagers National Park, The Boundary Waters, or even the Bemidji area. The northern part of MN is absolutely beautiful. Yes it is a bit of a drive to get to these places, but it is so worth it. Otherwise you could leave MN and drive to northern WI and the UP of MI or to Door County in WI.

10. Re: Minneapolis and places to go around there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 12, 2014