We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RE:2013 uptown art fair/worth the trip?/why no hotels?

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 52
RE:2013 uptown art fair/worth the trip?/why no hotels?

Looking into traveling to Minneapolis to the uptown art fair 2013. Is this all hype or is this an art fair worth the 5 hour trip? I also find it very odd that I cannot find hotels nearby? Any insight into this? Any suggestions to a nice suburb to stay in and drive in the day of the art fair, unless, parking is an issue? Thanks in advance!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
1. Re: RE:2013 uptown art fair/worth the trip?/why no hotels?

I think it's worth the trip. A very artistic town displaying its wares.

Uptown Minneapolis is not zoned for hotels, so the closest you can do is one of the hotels on the southwest portion of downtown and walk or take a bus. I would stay downtown over a suburb because there's more to do and better places to eat downtown.

minneapolis
reviews: 134
2. Re: RE:2013 uptown art fair/worth the trip?/why no hotels?

Personally, I avoid the Uptown Art Fair because it is sooooo congested. Uptown is a busy location to begin with, it's even harder to maneuver during the art fair because it gets so crowded & tight. There is not a lot of lodging in this area, but it's just a short distance away - St Louis Park, Edina, downtown Mpls. Parking is a nightmare, you might want to arrive extra early to more easily grab a parking spot - perhaps grab breakfast or walk the lakes before it opens. And park a little ways away, so you can get out easily.

There are 3 BIG art fairs that weekend. I would attend one of the other ones. They have many artists that did not make it into the Uptown Art Festival with great quality and prices. They're easier to attend and more relaxed. I found Uptown to be somewhat unaffordable the last time I went.

Edited: 11:46 am, July 22, 2013
Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 15
3. Re: RE:2013 uptown art fair/worth the trip?/why no hotels?

You would not get me to thar Art Fair with a 10 foot pole.

But, if this is your thing, stay downtown or the WestEnd and you could walk it there, or even bus it.

I can't imagine someone travelling 5 hrs for it, however.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
4. Re: RE:2013 uptown art fair/worth the trip?/why no hotels?

You could stay downtown and use the niceridemn bike rental system to ride (via Loring Park maybe) to Uptown and dock your bike at another rental kiosk there. And taxi back bc you might have some things to take back to your hotel. Art is all a matter of taste. The art there is something I could look at all day. It does get congested there though. But I think that is more proof of what a unique event it is

Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 52
5. Re: RE:2013 uptown art fair/worth the trip?/why no hotels?

Thanks to everyone for the information and opinions. Would you mind posting where the other 2 BIG art fairs are that weekend?

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 15
6. Re: RE:2013 uptown art fair/worth the trip?/why no hotels?

Could be the Edina Art Fair or the PowderHorn Park Art Fair.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 643
7. Re: RE:2013 uptown art fair/worth the trip?/why no hotels?

It's the Loring Park Art Fair and the Powderhorn Park Art Fair. I completely disagree with the posters that avoid the art fair, I LOVE it. Parking is on the street, but I've never not found parking. You might have to walk several blocks, but no big deal. Over the years I've found some extremely cool art and have furnished my home with many of my purchases. Venders come from around the country to participate in this huge event. If you enjoy art fairs this is a fabulous weekend to be in Minneapolis. I've also visited the Loring Park Art Fair and it's smaller, but a beautiful setting and very well done. Can't comment about Powder Horn Park because I haven't attended. Hotels downtown, Edina, or West End in St. Louis Park would all be good locations to visit the festivities. If you decide to come, have a great time!

West Des Moines...
reviews: 24
8. Re: RE:2013 uptown art fair/worth the trip?/why no hotels?

The Sheraton at Midtown would also be close by and straight down Lake Street, maybe even take the bus route over?

Minneapolis...
reviews: 44
9. Re: RE:2013 uptown art fair/worth the trip?/why no hotels?

Metro transit does offer a free bus ride between all of the art fairs. That might be the easiest way to get around and not have to deal with parking. Google Minneapolis art fairs 2013 for a ton of info. Have fun!

Minneapolis
reviews: 38
10. Re: RE:2013 uptown art fair/worth the trip?/why no hotels?

If you like art fairs there is no reason NOT to go. I would stay downtown and take the bus...easy peazy. I would book on HOTWIRE, lots of decent properties at a discount.