We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip from Minneapolis to Michigan UP - itinerary please!

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Roadtrip from Minneapolis to Michigan UP - itinerary please!

We plan to take a week or so roadtrip from Minneapolis to Michigan UP (2 adults, 1 8-year-old boy). We've never been and I'm feeling overwhelmed by the possibilities.We'll probably camp most the time. Anyone who's done this trip before want to share their itinerary with any changes you might recommend?

West Des Moines...
reviews: 24
1. Re: Roadtrip from Minneapolis to Michigan UP - itinerary please!

Better to post this in the Michigan forum?

Sioux Falls, South...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Roadtrip from Minneapolis to Michigan UP - itinerary please!

I agree that you will get more help in the Michigan forum. However I did a 4 night solo hiking trip there and back two years ago, so can give you a little start here since you've asked. I mostly stayed along the north side of the UP, along the Lake Superior shore. I believe there are also probably nice areas and sights on the other side as well along the Lake Michigan shore. If you like waterfalls make a quick trip off the highway around Bessemer, to go up along the Black River. Nice short walks from the parking lot to views of the different waterfalls. Visit the Porcupine Mountains, see Lake of the Clouds. Spend time around the Munising area and spend a couple days exploring the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Munising is a pretty town, Marquette is also ok. Make it to the far end of the UP and spend 1 full day taking the ferry over to explore the charming and historical Mackinac Island.

Definitely ask your question again in the Michigan forum, the people there will be experts at answering this question and will be much more familiar with all that the UP offers.

Minneapolis...
3. Re: Roadtrip from Minneapolis to Michigan UP - itinerary please!

Thanks, will do! (I'm new to this forum stuff.)

Minneapolis...
4. Re: Roadtrip from Minneapolis to Michigan UP - itinerary please!

Thanks, MinnesotaGuy. I've added your mentions to my list!

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 15
5. Re: Roadtrip from Minneapolis to Michigan UP - itinerary please!

We did this Labour Day long weekend in 1997.

We did Minneapolis to the MI line the first day and stayed in Marquette for one night.

Then one night mid way thru the state on the shoreline. (would have to look at map for city)

Then... we wanted to try Sault St. Marie Canadian side for two nights.

On both of those days we headed down to Mackinac Island that Sunday, then walked the bridge that Monday Labour Day.

After the walk, we were going to stay in Rhinelander WI, but hoofed it all the way back to Minneapolis.

Great trip and wished we had more than 5 days. We will go back.

Minneapolis...
6. Re: Roadtrip from Minneapolis to Michigan UP - itinerary please!

Thanks for your reply! We'll probably skip Canada since it requires passports now and ours are expired (boo!).

Minneapolis
reviews: 7
7. Re: Roadtrip from Minneapolis to Michigan UP - itinerary please!

You could do a Circle Tour of the U.P. by doing the bottom part of the Circle Tour of Lake Superior (spend most of your time there, www.midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/touring/lake_superior/lake_superior_circle_tour_highlights.html) and the top part of the Circle Tour of Lake Michigan.

I second MinnesotaGuy: Porcupines, (Keweenaw Peninsula), Marquette, Pictured Rocks, (Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Soo Locks) and Mackinac Island.Then return along Lake Michigan, stopping at Kitchi-iti-kipi Spring and Fayette Historic Townsite on the Garden Peninsula.

The great thing about the U.P. is that it's never very crowded and there are lots of places to camp. I really like J.W. Wells state park between Menominee and Escanaba, but there are lots of sites in national forest and even county parks right on the lakes.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 15
8. Re: Roadtrip from Minneapolis to Michigan UP - itinerary please!

it was fun to see the locks at the border -

maybe go up there to view / tour, but stay on the USA side.

The hotel was much cheaper there.

USA
reviews: 50
9. Re: Roadtrip from Minneapolis to Michigan UP - itinerary please!

You have a few options. 1. Drive north on 35, stop at Taylors falls. Continue north to duluth. Then east through superior along the northern side of Wisconsin. 2. Cut northeast thru Wisconsin via Hayward etc. Small towns etc.

It's a little faster thru duluth but things to stop at either way.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
10. Re: Roadtrip from Minneapolis to Michigan UP - itinerary please!

I agree with the previous post. I have found myself often taking the lower route crossing at Taylor's Falls even tho the Duluth route is a little quicker. It's more scenic for one. And if it's summer, there's a decent chance I-35 will grind to a slow crawl for construction. So whichever way you go, check for construction before you leave.,