We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend getaway

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Prospect, Kentucky
reviews: 19
Weekend getaway

Would like some suggestions on a weekend getaway within about two hours drive from Minneapolis. Would like some good bed and breakfast inns, good restaurants, interesting shops, ability to bike and near lakes. Not commercial.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 13
1. Re: Weekend getaway

www.spicercastle.com. will fit your request perfectly. Spicer is two hours west of minneapolis and Green Lake is one of the nicest lakes in Minnesota.

Stillwater...
reviews: 8
2. Re: Weekend getaway

Lanesboro, MN. Lots of B&B's, restaurants, shops. A paved State bike trail. No lakes but it is on one of the best trout streams in MN.

http://www.lanesboro.com/

lanesboro.com/cms/files/2012RootRiverTrailMa…

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
reviews: 128
3. Re: Weekend getaway

I second Lanesboro. The Root River Trail is excellent . Very scenic, has a professional theater troupe with top notch performances, tubing and canoeing on the Root River. There are also Amish tours in the area. It is a bit commercial in that there are many quaint shops, but it doesn't have the type of commercial atmosphere involving fast food restaurants, discount stores and cheesy Wisconsin Dells type souvenir stores. It's more of an adult destination than a family destination.

St. Paul, MN
reviews: 13
4. Re: Weekend getaway

You might want to check out Stillwater. Many bed and breakfasts, shops, and restaurants. I have stayed at the Ann Bean Mansion B&B in Stillwater and it is amazing!

Minnesota
reviews: 290
5. Re: Weekend getaway

Lanesboro has the Root River trail which is one of our favorite bike trails. The shops and better in Still Water. I second Ann Bean.

Jackson, Wisconsin
reviews: 118
6. Re: Weekend getaway

I like Lanesboro too. Another option to consider is along the Missippi River the small town of Wabasha ( Grumpy Old Men fame ) has some shops and the National Eagle Center where they rehabilitate bald eagles. Cross to the Wisconsin side to the awesome cheese shop in Nelson. Stop in Pepin. Area for Laura Ingalls Wilder history. lots of bird watching up and down both sides of the River.

Another very different type of area would be the SW corner of the state to see Pipestone national Monument. Short hike on the grounds to a waterfall. And the nearby Blue Mounds State Park has a lake , hiking and a buffalo herd. You can see prickly pear cactus growing and get a real out west feel. If you have time stop for a coupl ers at the Jeffers petroglyphs on your way

Minneapolis
reviews: 7
7. Re: Weekend getaway

This time of year (in spring, anyway), I like to go down to Northfield for a little strolling/shopping and then on to Nerstrand-Big Woods State Park, which has one of this region's best displays of spring wildflowers along hiking trails. Usually, early May is peak, but who knows this year. The Magic Door B&B is really nice, and the Archer House too.

I also really like the Lake Pepin area. If you stay in Red Wing, you can bike west on the Cannon Valley Trail, but it's also fun to drive the 70 miles around the "lake" (actually Mississippi River) and stop in all the towns, especially Wabasha for the National Eagle Center. There are a lot of neat little cottages you can rent in Stockholm, Wis. More ideas: midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/best_trips/d…

8. Re: Weekend getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 14, 2014