We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minneapolis Airport- Plane Change Question

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, Missouri
reviews: 4
Minneapolis Airport- Plane Change Question

Hello Everyone-

We're flying Icelandair to Europe and back through Minneapolis this summer and I'm trying to decide if we have enough time to catch the last flight to St. Louis or if we need to stay one night in Minneapolis.

We arrive from Reykjavik on a Thursday evening at about 6 pm. I'm looking at booking a 7:10 flight on Delta to St. Louis (last one available). We'll have customs to clear and I guess we'll need to recheck our baggage. So the question: is it possible to catch another flight (in the other terminal, I believe) in just over an hour. I'm guessing not, but I'm unfamiliar with the MSP airport.

And, if we need to stay the night, do you have any suggestions on a good hotel near the airport? Thanks for your help!

Burnsville, MN
reviews: 2
1. Re: Minneapolis Airport- Plane Change Question

No, I really don't think you could manage another flight with such little time as you need to go through customs and recheck bags. Also, I believe all flights require that you be at the boarding gate 30 minutes before the flight takes off.

There are a number of hotels that provide shuttle service to/from the airport. I'd look at Bloomington and Eagan hotels.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
2. Re: Minneapolis Airport- Plane Change Question

Plus, you have to transfer from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 and reclear TSA security. When I look at risk/reward, I think you have too much downside on the risk. I would also plan on the one night stay.

http://www.mspairport.com/airlines.aspx

Minneapolis...
reviews: 36
3. Re: Minneapolis Airport- Plane Change Question

I don't "think" you will be transferring from one terminal to the other. All Intl flights land at the "main" terminal. That is also the departure terminal for all DL flights. So that part is o.k. Clearing Customs is a big question. I've done it it 10 minutes and at other times more than 30. Just depends on how many planes land at about the same time...how many people on each....where you are seated on your plane (how far back), etc. Then you have to wait again to claim your luggage (rechecking is no big deal-- just toss them on a belt as you exit Customs). You then exit Customs into the Baggage Claim area and have to go upstairs and through TSA again before heading to your gate.

I would not chance such a tight connection. It "might" work out, but you could land a few minutes late right behind two other huge flights, with a short baggage handling team and long TSA lines.......ouch!

Lastly...I believe the airline will REQUIRE you to have a minimum two hour connect time. Call and ask them.

Doubletree is a good choice with an airport shuttle.

Burnsville, MN
reviews: 2
4. Re: Minneapolis Airport- Plane Change Question

If you haven't visited the Twin Cities before, this could be an opportunity for a nice short visit. July is a great time to stay here, and our weather is usually a bit cooler and less humid than St. Louis.

St. Louis, Missouri
reviews: 4
5. Re: Minneapolis Airport- Plane Change Question

Thanks everyone for the replies. I really appreciate it. We decided not to chance and booked a flight for the next morning instead.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
6. Re: Minneapolis Airport- Plane Change Question

Queeneee: While I do not have firsthand knowledge, I think your assessment is incorrect. It appears there are immigration facilities in Terminal 2, for flights that arrive in Terminal 2. But, please come back and share if you do not agree. All my information says Icelandair arrives into Terminal 2. mspairport.com/images/accessibility/MSP_T2_q…

mspairport.com/security-and-public-safety.as…

Bloomington
reviews: 14
7. Re: Minneapolis Airport- Plane Change Question

Yes. Gate H1 at Humphrey can be switched between domestic and international arrivals. Currently only IcelandAir uses it. I agree that the OPs proposed timeframe was not at all doable with having to change terminals, reclear security, and recheck luggage. It's a long trip to the light rail connection from either terminal, and can be a long walk to your gate at Lindberh.

Edited: 10:25 pm, January 12, 2013
Minneapolis...
reviews: 36
8. Re: Minneapolis Airport- Plane Change Question

Well...you have made a good choice. Sounds like there is one exception to my facts regarding Intl. flight arrivals. I stand corrected. I'm sure you will feel much more comfortable this way. No worries about flight delays or the like.

Safe travels.

9. Re: Minneapolis Airport- Plane Change Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 19, 2014