We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fairview Heights...
Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

Hello all. I'm relocating from St Louis to Minneapolis and I'm curious your thoughts on where to live. My wife and I currently live in a newer suburb of St Louis. I'll be doing a short term 6 month lease and then my wife will join me where we'll get long term housing. My question is for the 6 month lease where do you suggest to get an apartment? I'll travel between offices in Plymouth, Downtown Minneapolis and Arden Hills. Ideally I'd like to be central to those locations so traffic isn't too much of an issue.

Suggestions? Is St Paul to far away?

Thanks for your help.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
1. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

Traveling between St. Paul and Plymouth would be a nightmare. If you were trying to make the drive during rush hours, I would wager it would take near 90 minutes.

Was your wife on here by chance maybe last month? This question sounds remarkably familiar (suburb of St. Louis, looking for short term lease etc) and you might want to re-visit that thread. Just search 'relocating"

If not, let us know other details. Do you have kids (which factors in schools)? For the short term lease I would look in Golden Valley for starters, possibly St. Louis Park. (Funny, St. Louis to St. Louis Park). Or you might even consider Minneapolis. I know that is what I would do but I'm a city lover. If you are in a suburb now you might prefer that.

Fairview Heights...
2. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

Thanks for the reply. Yes we are the same family. In the past thread I mentioned that I'd be traveling between Bloomington, MN and St Paul. It's changed a bit to where I'll be between Plymouth, MN and Arden Hills. That's why I posted again to get suggestions on places to live.

Is St Louis Park nice? I've read alot about areas in MN that may be a bit shady or rough. We definitely have those in St Louis and I'd like to stay away from those. Since it will be just me for the 1st 6 months Id like to experience MN the best I can so when she joins me we have a really good idea on where to live in the area. I'm open to downtown areas or other suggestions.

Thanks, Josh

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
3. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

Well, I will say removing bloomington makes the job of finding an area immensely easier.

If you think your family would end up living in a suburban setting, I think you would be best served finding an apt in a suburban area so you get the flavor of at least one and easier access to the others.

If I recall correctly, you will eventually have children of school age moving up here so my suggestions are ruling out areas where schools are less than stellar.

At the top of the list for school districts in the north (northwest and northeast) suburbs are Mounds View (NE) and Wayzata (most but NOT ALL of Plymouth in the NW).

So for the Wayzata School District that is most of Plymouth (just be sure to know Plymouth also has areas in the Osseo and Robbinsdale School Districts which I think are far below Wayzata). So I think Plymouth (west of Highway 169 and south of Rockford Road) is a decent option, nice area.

On the other side, Arden Hills and Shoreview are very nice and part of the very nice Mounds View School District.

As I said in the thread started by your wife, I believe Minneapolis can be an excellent place to live but you have to do your research to find out which parts. Some parts are shady, some are nice. But in general (this is a very generalized statement) the schools are better in the suburbs -- and far and away better in the districts I mentioned. The one exception in Minneapolis is a small area in SW Minneapolis (center of which is the approx intersection of 50th Street and Penn Ave) that would get you Burroughs School and Southwest High School -- both very good.

Digest all that and let us know what questions you have. Opinions on areas to live are very subjective and others should be on soon to agree and disagree I am sure.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
4. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

First, I'm going to leave your long term relocation needs aside for now. TripAdvisor does not support long-term relo needs. My goto online resources for that is http://www.city-data.com/ and real estate agents. Plus, you can do that once you are there and grounded. For short term leases (6 month), I'd definitely consider St. Louis Park. As a native SLP'er, I think it's safe and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Other places you might want to consider for a lease: Golden Valley, New Hope, Plymouth, or perhaps something on the Arden Hills side, like Roseville. I would want to end the day near where I lived.

Minneapolis...
5. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

Basing my answers on your commute needs, and then only on my experience with are reputations for crime, school systems, etc., I think Plymouth, Wayzata, Hopkins, Minnetonka, or St. Louis Park would be ideal suburban areas for you. If you think you will be spending more time on the Arden Hills side of thing than maybe Plymouth, I'd consider Roseville, or if you prefer a more urban neighborhood you could always consider the lakes neighborhoos of southwest Minneapolis. I would avoid most of north Minneapolis, Robbinsdale, Crystal, New Hope, Brooklyn Center, etc., just based on neighborhood quality/safety and such.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 86
6. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

I would generally echo what others have said. However, specifically on SLP I also find it safe. It is a first-ring post WWII suburb that has diversified a bit, but I don't foresee especially just yourself having difficulties. SLP schools (at least the high school) are also highly rated, usually making various lists of "best schools" (though the definition of "best high schools" tends to be a bit subjective). If it helps, SLP has stores such as Trader Joe's, which isn't known for placing their stores in troubled neighborhoods.

Roseville is also nice. As mentioned, closer to Arden Hills than Plymouth, but a pretty easy drive into the city. Nice parks and schools should be fine, even if not "best of the best" by MN standards. IMO, be sure to note when Minnesotans/Twin Citians start comparing "good" schools, it is comparing to other cities more than local comparisons. MN schools trend fairly highly so often our "medicore" schools still will give your children a decent education (presuming you are an involved parent, which you seem to be).

Minneapolis...
7. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

This isnt the place to be getting advice fpr where to live.We know nothing of you including your age and what your interests are.These types of questions just turn into cheerleading contests by largely unqualified people that think their own living conditions and lifestyle is the best.Talk to a real estate professional.And by the way,theres more cons to so called schools like MV that play the rating system game as your child loses their identify.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
8. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

He's first and foremost seeking advice on where to find an apartment for a short-term lease so he can get the feel of the area himself. Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion. And getting opinions on locations to consider or rule out from people who live here is not a bad idea. Just one source of ideas from many, including a real estate agent (who also will have his/her own faults in rating different areas). Get as much input as possible from people who know the area, I say

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
9. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

Agreed...this is why the conversation needs to be steered towards the 6 month lease. Here's what TA says is allowed:

◦A discussion providing short-term relocation advice is acceptable provided it remains relevant to travelers moving or looking to move to that destination.

◦Orientation to neighborhoods, travel logistics, visa requirements, or even post-arrival "thanks, everyone" updates are welcome, whereas asking for help finding roommates, buying/selling furniture or ongoing personal updates are not considered travel-related.

Anyhow, I hope Josh comes back to share his thoughts on what's posted so far...

Fairview Heights...
10. Re: Relocating to Minneapolis. Where to live?

Thank you everyone for your responses. I've located an apartment in Minnetonka. The biggest thing for me is a safe environment and an apartment that offers covered parking. I'm still looking around and am going to inquire on a few places in the St Louis Park area. I will be in Minneapolis full time as of 11/4 so I have a few weeks to lock this down.