We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is something going on in Minneapolis the week of Oct. 10th?

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 274
Is something going on in Minneapolis the week of Oct. 10th?

I'm planning on going to a conference 10/13-16 (the American Society for Bioethics and Humanities), which will take place at the Minneapolis Hyatt Regency. I have no status with Hyatt, but gold with SPG & Hilton (platinum with IHG). I was looking at SPG's hotels for their "Cash & Points" deals, but only the Aloft and Westin seem to be offering it for those dates, which implies the hotels expect a high occupancy rate. I certainly don't think my conference will have that many attendees, and the only other conference I found when googling the convention center was "Lifetouch National School Studies," which I doubt will have that high an attendance either. Is there something going on in town on that week?

Also, are downtown Minneapolis buildings connected either via underground passageways or by overhead enclosed walkways, like they are in most big Canadian cities? Would I be able to travel easily on foot from the Westin to the Hyatt? Do I risk snow in mid-October? Thanks in advance for the responses!

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 17
1. Re: Is something going on in Minneapolis the week of Oct. 10th?

You can walk from Westin to the Hyatt via the Skyway. We have the largest system in the world, but chances are the daytime temps will be very mild, and maybe at night you'll need a light jacket.

Try walking on foot up Nicollet Mall from Hyatt then turn at 6th for Westin.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
2. Re: Is something going on in Minneapolis the week of Oct. 10th?

The answer to "is something going on in Minneapolis the weekend of Oct. 8-10" is yes - the Vikings host Arizona on Sunday - unless the NFL can't come to an agreement. Viking weekends often bring a decent crowd to downtown hotels.

Richmond, California
reviews: 5
3. Re: Is something going on in Minneapolis the week of Oct. 10th?

Geological Society of America

Minnesota
reviews: 12
4. Re: Is something going on in Minneapolis the week of Oct. 10th?

I think it's pretty safe to say the Twins won't be playing in the ALCS that week.

5. Re: Is something going on in Minneapolis the week of Oct. 10th?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 05, 2012