We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Location To Stay

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenfield, United...
reviews: 6
Best Location To Stay

Where's the best location in Minneapolist St Paul in terms of access to restarants, brewpubs, etc at night and touristy things to do during the day. My wife and I are likely to be visiting the Twin Cities in September as part of a road trip along the Mississippi and it is our 1st visit and we want to make best use of our 3 days there.

Many thanks - Paul & Cathy

6 replies to this topic
minneapolis
reviews: 131
1. Re: Best Location To Stay

I might recommend near the Hotel Minneapolis, Crowne Plaza or The Grand Hotel... they're right in the middle of everything in downtown Minneapolis and you can safely walk to a lot of it - St Anthony Main, North Hennepin, theater district, Nicollet Mall, light rail. Will you have a car? September is a beautiful time to visit, weather's usually pretty mild & pleasant, if it's not raining.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
2. Re: Best Location To Stay

I would agree with bonnie that downtown Minneapolis is your best bet, the place where you will find the most concentrated collection of great restaurants, tourist attractions, theaters, sporting events (Twins, Vikings) etc.

bonnie provided some nicely placed and central hotels. I would add to the list: The Marquette (my fave), Westin, Marriott City Center and Radisson Plaza.

If you want my opinion on location, Hotel Minneapolis would put you in the most primo spot, but the others are very close that I wouldn't pay morenecessarily for the Hotel minneapolis. That hotel just gets you a little closer to the riverfront area which I'm sure you'll want to explore. Very interesting history about the area, including the birth of some famous global brands such as General Mills and Pillsbury, which used the energy from St. Anthony Falls on the river to power their mills. Beautiful area including the Stone Arch Bridge and Nicollet Island.

Like bonnie said, probably the best time of year to visit Minnesota. Weather is usually good and you start to see the leaves change color. In an area dense with maples, that is something to see.

Also, be aware of the light rail. It runs along 5th Street in the downtown zone and can take you to some other areas of interest without having to drive and park -- Minnehaha Park (a must, IMO) and the Mall of America (not my cup of tea but to each his own).

Cheap, safe, efficient, comfortable way to ride. About 40 minutes to the mall from downtown. About half that to the Minnehaha Park/50th Street stop.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
3. Re: Best Location To Stay

You mentioned brew pubs. The one I like is The Herkimer on Lyndale, easily reached by bus.

But what might also interest you is the Harriet Brewing tap room just south of downtown and reachable via light rail (Lake Street stop). 15-20 mins by train.

Tap Room Hours

Wednesday: 4:00-10:00 pm

Thursday: 4:00-11:00 pm

Friday: 4:00-12:00 am

Saturday: 1:00-12:00 am

Coincidentally if you like Indian Food the best Indian food in the Twin Cities (IMO) is right next door. Gandhi Mahal.

Edited: 9:25 am, January 30, 2013
Greenfield, United...
reviews: 6
4. Re: Best Location To Stay

Many thanks for the really useful information.

We will be picking up a rental car but are thinking of doing so after 3 nights in the Twin Cities, if this is feasible. This is the case so that we don't have to pay the cost of any unnecessary rental and parking - as long as MSP can be navigated on foot or by the light rail system. Is this the correct thing to do?

Indian food - now you're talking!!

Edited: 10:03 am, February 03, 2013
Minnesota
reviews: 28
5. Re: Best Location To Stay

Yes, you can take the light rail directly to Minneapolis from MSP. Closest Hotel to the light Rail Station is The Westin (Around the block from the Station). From there you can walk to a lot of things, as well as take Pedicab or Taxi's. There are several automated bike rental stations downtown if the weather is nice. Closest to the Westin is near the train station at the Minneapolis Library.

Light rail more or less will take you from Downtown, to the airport or the Mall of America. I don't think the Light Rail line to St. Paul will be opened by then. So the train is going to really be of limited (albeit important) use.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 352
6. Re: Best Location To Stay

Light rail to St Paul will begin sometime in 2014.

Reply to: Best Location To Stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted