We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Union Depot in St. Paul opens Saturday

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
Union Depot in St. Paul opens Saturday

With the forum being really slow this time of year, I thought I would let those of you who didn't know that the renovation of Union Depot in St. Paul is complete and the depot will open Saturday, with festivities starting at 9:30.

If you haven't been there, it's a spectacular old building with loads of history.

Soon it will be the terminus of the Green Line / Central Corridor light rail line connecting the two downtowns. Amtrak also will be moving its operations to Union Depot from Midway Station.

And it could one day serve high-speed rail to Chicago.

Couldn't help but post this, being the railroad geek I am. (Gets me excited to know the name Empire Builder will once again be associated with the old depot, even if it has to be through Amtrak). But this is a very beatutiful building with a ton of history. Worth a wander through just to see it. And maybe stop off for some mezes at Christo's while you're at it.

Edited: 10:20 am, December 05, 2012
4 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
reviews: 44
1. Re: Union Depot in St. Paul opens Saturday

Thanks for the info! It will be great when the Twin Cities are finally connected via light rail.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 352
2. Re: Union Depot in St. Paul opens Saturday

I went to the grand re-opening today. Very impressive building.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 4
3. Re: Union Depot in St. Paul opens Saturday

I haven't seen the new renovation but I think this is a wonderful idea. I've been to the building pre-reno and it is beautiful. Christo's is a great restaurant too, are they still located in the central area? Too bad the minneapolis depot is owned by the marriott, that would be another neat building to bring back to it's original purpose.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
4. Re: Union Depot in St. Paul opens Saturday

yeah, from the selfish POV of a Minneapolis guy, I am jealous that St. Paul had the foresight to save its beautiful depot and Minneapolis did not.

I don't think the Milwaukee Road Depot on Washington could be repurposed as a functioning depot, however. I don't think it would be large enough without adding on. The real tragedy was the razing of the Great Northern Depot back in the 1970s. That was a beautiful building and would have allowed Amtrak to run out of Minneapolis.

But it is nice to have a historic building back in use in St. Paul. That and the new Saints ballpark will re-energize that downtown.

Reply to: Union Depot in St. Paul opens Saturday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted