We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park Pointe Marina Inn Canal Park

Which Duluth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
reviews: 305
Park Pointe Marina Inn Canal Park

We visited Duluth late last September and will be back in the area this year around the same time (as we liked the area so much). We're still undecided between staying in Duluth or up the shore nearer Two Harbors or somewhere else.

When we visited last year we picked up a flyer for a new hotel called Park Point Marina inn and the website is suggesting it will be open May onwards.

Does anyone know how it is progressing at the moment and exactly where in Canal Park it is (we stayed at Hampton Inn last year)?

I'm just a little wary of booking it and then finding out nearer the time that it's either not ready or beset with problems and my choices at that time would be limited (and expensive no doubt!)

Some local input would be great.

Thanks

16 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
1. Re: Park Pointe Marina Inn Canal Park

I'm afraid I can't help beyond what the hotel says about reservations being taken for dates after May 19.

In regard to your other question, how long are you staying? I would at least consider a stay in Grand Marais. Nice harbor town a couple hours up the shore with a really comfy feel, puicturesque and a few nice restaurants to boot. Kind of nice being so far up the shore and away from the bigger city

Proctor, Minnesota
reviews: 55
2. Re: Park Pointe Marina Inn Canal Park

As with mntoathens, I can't offer anything on the hotel, other than to call them to see. Number on their website says 888-746-2673.

I also agree with mntoathens on Grand Marais. Or, at least try to make a day trip up there, it's only a couple hours from Duluth. We've stayed at Eagle Ridge at Lusten a few times. During summer months, they have some pretty good deals on their rooms/suites.

Glasgow, United...
3. Re: Park Pointe Marina Inn Canal Park

Thanks both.

We had planned on a couple of day trips, certainly one to Grand Marais and possibly across the border. We only made it to Split Rock and Two Harbors last year so decided to come back for more. We also will take a side trip to Ely.

I wouldn't mind staying slightly further north than Duluth but hubby was completely entranced with the boat traffic coming into the harbour and would love to get closer to the boats being unloaded/loaded so I figure one of the boat trips we saw would be the best bet.

We were also fascinated by the taconite mining and are planning to see if there is anywhere we can get a closer look. Do appreciate that towards the end of September a lot of attractions are reducing hours however that's our favoured vacation time.

Duluth, Minnesota
4. Re: Park Pointe Marina Inn Canal Park

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your inquiring about Park Point Marina Inn our construction is running right on schedule and we are expecting to open in May of 2014 we are currently taking reservations for May 19th 2014 and beyond. It is located just 4 blocks over the Aerial Lift Bridge on 1033 Minnesota Avenue just minutes away from Canal Park. Please contact us at the Park Point Marina Inn 218-491-7111 or visit our website: www.parkpointmarinainn.com for additional information and rates.

Have a great day!

Proctor, Minnesota
reviews: 55
5. Re: Park Pointe Marina Inn Canal Park

I love Ely! Depending on time, and if you're not set on staying near Duluth for all nights, I'd suggest a 3 day trip to Grand Marais and Ely:

Day one: Head up to Grand Marais, stopping along the way to check out the sights. Shop and eat in Grand Marais, then head back down that evening and stay the night somewhere near Finland.

Day two: In the morning, take Hwy 1 off 61 for a scenic drive to Ely. You'll have the afternoon and evening to enjoy shopping, the Bear Center, the Wolf Center, and everything else Ely has to offer. Stay the night in Ely.

Day three: Take 169 west and check out Soudan Underground Mine State Park in Soudan. The tour brings you over a 1/4 mile down below the earths surface to an underground mine. Follow 169 to Virginia for a quick stop at Mineview in the Sky. A little backtracking (just a few miles) back in Virginia, take 169 west to Chisholm for the Minnesota Discover Center (mndiscoverycenter.com). From there, you have about an hour and a half drive back to Duluth.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
6. Re: Park Pointe Marina Inn Canal Park

Wow, I really like pc350's advice

Sioux Falls, South...
7. Re: Park Pointe Marina Inn Canal Park

Checking out there website and googling the listed address, I see that they describe themselves as 4 blocks from the lift bridge, just on the OTHER side of the lift bridge from the restaurants and other hotels that you are probably familiar with from your previous visit, or in other words beyond the lift bridge on the island between the bridge and the Park Point beach (which is towards the end of the island about 4 miles beyond the lift bridge). They are on the harbor side of the shore (as opposed to the Lake Superior side).

I would be thinking that if you've gotten to experience staying in Canal Park last time and really have gotten to see the best that Duluth has to offer then perhaps a stay on the North Shore would be ideal this next time (Two Harbors, Grand Marais, Silver Bay, Lutsen, Bluefin Bay, etc.), unless you mostly want to experience more of Duluth itself and the lift bridge and are more looking for the benefits of staying within a city.

Sioux Falls, South...
8. Re: Park Pointe Marina Inn Canal Park

To add to my last post, a North Shore stay is probably more ideal for seeing nature and the serene beauty of the lake, lighthouses, waterfalls, etc. A Duluth stay might be better for having options like the aquarium, the train museum, the Maritime museum, the Glensheen Mansion, the Vista Fleet tours, the ships, Bayfront Park festivals, a wider variety of dining options (though probably more franchise/chain options and probably less unique local options than the North Shore), etc. Depends if you're looking for more of what a city visit can offer or more of a scenic getaway from the hustle and bustle.

Glasgow, United...
9. Re: Park Pointe Marina Inn Canal Park

wow. thanks for all your suggestions. It's great to get so many options!

I know hubby wants to do the Vista Fleet trip and perhaps to see the William Irvine (which we didn't manage to do last time) however we could have a day trip back into Duluth to do this and to view from Enger Park.

I would like to go to the Bear and Wolf Centres and I really would like to see Mineview in the Sky.

We both would like to see Grand Marais and the coastal areas beyond Two Harbors.

This will perhaps restrict us a little however we would rather base ourselves in one place for 4 nights and have day trips rather than checking in and out of hotels. It's part of a 17 day road trip so we will have some luggage and I'd rather it wasn't in the car/SUV all the time when we are out and about. Hubby also nags me that packing/unpacking is a waste of precious vacation time!

Off to look at the map to work out what spot I can do all this from!! Will report back

Burnsville, MN
reviews: 2
10. Re: Park Pointe Marina Inn Canal Park

Gill, I noticed on a Roadtrips topic that you mentioned an interest in Frank Lloyd Wright. In Cloquet MN, a town close to Duluth we have the only gas station designed by him in 1958 although he never visited it himself. A good place for lunch there is Gordy's Hi Hat Drive-in.

Reply to: Park Pointe Marina Inn Canal Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted