We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Colors Along North Shore?

Which Duluth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
reviews: 14
Fall Colors Along North Shore?

We're planning to head up this weekend (Fri-Sun, 2 adults and a dog) to Duluth to try and see the fall colors along the North Shore. Even if the weather forecast is crappy this weekend, we're still going because we've canceled the past two weekends due to poor weather forecasts.

We're staying at the Sheraton Duluth, and plan to day trip up and down the North Shore. We'd appreciate any recommendations as to parks and trails to see the color this weekend. Also, are aspens and birches concentrated in any one area?

6 replies to this topic
minneapolis
reviews: 131
1. Re: Fall Colors Along North Shore?

Looks like your timing is PERFECT - colors and weather-wise, good job! While you may not have a ton of sunshine, Duluth has a lot of fiery color that shouldn't be too diminished by overcast skies. Jay Cooke is one of my favorites, along with Skyline Ridge drive and 7 Bridges Road. Moose Lake State Park and Banning State Parks are also good stops en route. The recent rains have appeared to replenish the waterfalls. And if you have time to day trip north from Duluth, Gooseberry Falls has several great trails, along with the scenic cliffs & pulloffs on the way.

From my recollection, the birchs/aspens were concentrated along the Lake Superior shoreline.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 14
2. Re: Fall Colors Along North Shore?

Thanks, Bonnie!

Minnesota
reviews: 3
3. Re: Fall Colors Along North Shore?

Well, we were on the North Shore this Tuesday, and, sorry to say, but your timing isn't perfect. The color was sort of disappointing compared to other years. Lots of yellow from the birch and aspen all the way up to Split Rock State Park but it really wasn't that vivid. We hiked some in Gooseberry and there was some color but it was sort of patchy.

Further up, we took the Lax Lake Road to Finland. The yellows were brighter here, especially to closer we got to Finland. There were individual maples that were very nice, but the majority of the maples were already bare. No hillsides where you would go, "Wow!" like other years. A local told me the wind and rain of last weekend knocked a lot of the leaves down.

Even with sub-par color it was still pretty though. A lot of cars in the lot for the hike along the Split Rock River. That's always a good hike. Our favorite is the Mt. Oberg loop. Take the Onion River Road a few miles north of Tofte to the parking lot if you have never done that hike. Another hike we like is the trail along the Temperance River. You don't need great fall color to enjoy any of these hikes.

Proctor, Minnesota
reviews: 55
4. Re: Fall Colors Along North Shore?

Some great info here... http://www.northshorevisitor.com/fall-colors/ & northshorevisitor.com/fall-colors/fall-color…

We've been on most of these, and even if the timing isn't "perfect", they're still very pretty. One of my favorite drives is up the the Trestle Inn to grad a burger. www.trestleinn.com & tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g43069-d3514…

Let us know how your trip is!

minneapolis
reviews: 131
5. Re: Fall Colors Along North Shore?

Thanks CCDM_9... keep in mind that the yellow/green colors along the shore are not usually the vibrance that folks seek. You need to go inland to see the red/orange, but not necessarily too far. I do recall Jay Cooke always had a lot of color and the DNR site says it's peaking - www.dnr.state.mn.us/fall_colors/index.html. Several images were taken as late as yesterday.

I personally saw great color when I cut north from Two Harbors to Ely a few weeks ago. It wasn't peaking, but what we did see was technicolor! However, since I don't know what the weather's been, the wind and rain can definitely affect the amount of leaves. And when we were in NW WI last weekend (south of Duluth), the colors looked amazing.

travelswide, if you can go inland instead, I would recommend that. The North Shore is gorgeous, but not necessarily for a variety of color.

6. Re: Fall Colors Along North Shore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:11 pm, April 03, 2014

Reply to: Fall Colors Along North Shore?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted