We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Detour to Ely?

Which Duluth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 8
Detour to Ely?

Hello, All -

We are heading to Minn to see the fall colors. A real treat for us Floridians. Plan so far is:

Fri, 9/29 - arrive MSP and drive to Duluth. 3 nights there at Radisson with scenic train to two harbors on Sun.

- first question is things to do on Sat - wondered about driving the lake into WI to Cornucopia?

Leave Duluth Monday and head up N Shore. Currently thinking to stay at Harbor Inn for 1 or 2 nights in Grand Marais.

- any feedback on Harbor Inn?

- should we stay 1 night or 2?

- any reason to continue up to Thunder Bay? (I think my hubby just likes the name)

Leave GM and head back towards MSP, but have either 1 or 2 nights to spend on the way depending on how much time we stay in GM.

- was thinking of side trip to Ely - is that worth doing? Wolf Reserve? Other interesting sites?

- recommendations for places to stay in Ely?

Any other must sees on way back to MSP? Or good places to stay?

Or other suggestions?

Get back to MSP on Thurs and have 3 nights before we leave for home on Sun. Two full days. Want to explore lakes near town, maybe go to a flea market, have to see the Mall of America.

- any other don't miss things to do or suggestions for meals? We are staying at an Marriott in Bloomington.

Very much looking forward to seeing beautiful MINN. it's been on our list for a long time and we are happy to finally get to come and visit.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Janet

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 17
11. Re: Detour to Ely?

Also, visit the ski resort at Lutsen Mountain (2 miles from shore).

In the off season you can take a skyride up to the summit for great views. There is also a fun Alpine Slide ride.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
12. Re: Detour to Ely?

Just back from Grand Marais and I think you are going to hit the fall colors perfectly. In two weeks everything should be in color. Right now, the ground cover is turning a little and some of the sumac. But the deciduous trees are doing almost nothing. In fact, I saw more color in Hinckley on the way back than I saw on the entire north shore that we drove yesterday. Birches are just barely yellowing now and the temps and some rain should get thinigs moving.

I would definitely stay two nights in Grand Marais. Otherwise you will be rushed. I also should remind you that it's busy time up there for fall colors so book whatever you can. You won't be in the hotel anyway. Also, you can't check in til 3 most likely bc of the full houses. So two nights is a must.

I personally wouldn't spend that time driving to the south shore in WI with so much to see on the much prettier north shore. For my money, drive up to Grand Portage at least to see the falls and the prettiest part of the Hwy 61 drive -- north of Grand Marais approaching Grand Portage (and make sure you know there is a Grand Portage State Park and also a reservation. The state park is all the way to the border.

I would do Ely over Bayfield and I would not do both. Too much driving IMO. Stop and park to see at least Temperance River and Cascade River. Especially Cascade as you can park for free and walk 100 yards up to see the spectacular cascades. As long as there is water in the river

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 17
13. Re: Detour to Ely?

New trail center now open at state park near Ely: www.startribune.com/local/224199501.html

Interesting article in today's StarTrib

Duluth, Minnesota
reviews: 13
14. Re: Detour to Ely?

You should hit the beautiful fall colors at just the right time. They are just starting to change here in Duluth. Two great places to view the fall colors in Duluth are Hawks Ridge and Enger Tower. The parking lot of the coppertop church also has a beautiful view. You can also drive Skyline Ave. Other things to do inDuluth? Spend time at the lakewalk and Canal park. Midis in Fitgers has great food and a nice view. You should eat at Grandmas Saloon in Canal Park and JJ astors atyour hotel is fun and yummy too.

IAgree with the others re: cornucopia...make a pit stop there on your way to Bayfield. The Bayfield Apple fest is the first weekend in October. Its a fun time. The drive from duluth to bayfield is not that full of spectacular fall colors though.

On your way to grand marais stop at the temperance river and gooseberry falls. Cascade point is pretty. If you like to hike hike up eagle mountain, the tallest point in mn.

I find Ely to be so-so. Lots of shops and restaurants. I would spend some time checking out other parts of mn...like the bluffs near red wing mn or yes octoberfest in New Ulm.

In mpls check out minnehaha falls and the lakes and lake walks and neighborhoods in that part of mpls. Restaurants? Mancinis in St.Paul is yummy.

Enjoy your vacation! Thank you for visiting MN.

Duluth, Minnesota
reviews: 13
15. Re: Detour to Ely?

You should hit the beautiful fall colors at just the right time. They are just starting to change here in Duluth. Two great places to view the fall colors in Duluth are Hawks Ridge and Enger Tower. The parking lot of the coppertop church also has a beautiful view. You can also drive Skyline Ave. Other things to do inDuluth? Spend time at the lakewalk and Canal park. Midis in Fitgers has great food and a nice view. You should eat at Grandmas Saloon in Canal Park and JJ astors atyour hotel is fun and yummy too.

IAgree with the others re: cornucopia...make a pit stop there on your way to Bayfield. The Bayfield Apple fest is the first weekend in October. Its a fun time. The drive from duluth to bayfield is not that full of spectacular fall colors though.

On your way to grand marais stop at the temperance river and gooseberry falls. Cascade point is pretty. If you like to hike hike up eagle mountain, the tallest point in mn.

I find Ely to be so-so. Lots of shops and restaurants. I would spend some time checking out other parts of mn...like the bluffs near red wing mn or yes octoberfest in New Ulm.

In mpls check out minnehaha falls and the lakes and lake walks and neighborhoods in that part of mpls. Restaurants? Mancinis in St.Paul is yummy.

Enjoy your vacation! Thank you for visiting MN.

16. Re: Detour to Ely?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 23, 2014