We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 10 Tips for someone that is about to move to Duluth?

Which Duluth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
reviews: 60

Have friends who are about to move to Duluth from the Twin Cities (MN)

and thought it would be good idea to give them some insides from the tripadvisor crowd during the going away party.

Saint Paul...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Top 10 Tips for someone that is about to move to Duluth?

Four wheel drive!

Woodbury, Minnesota
reviews: 7
2. Re: Top 10 Tips for someone that is about to move to Duluth?

We moved from MPLS to Duluth 7 years ago and moved back two years later. Here's my list:

1. Have at least front wheel drive as rear wheel drive is not good on hllls in winter

2. If they have kids be prepared for lack of parks with playgrounds

3. No outdoor public pool that I'm aware of

4. seems to be a lack of good mid priced homes for sale.

5. Clicky neighbors

6. Great proximity to outdoor fun (state parks and North Shore)

7. Several good festivals

8. Wide range of dining options

9. Spirit Mountain

10. Canal Park

Proctor, Minnesota
reviews: 61
3. Re: Top 10 Tips for someone that is about to move to Duluth?

Do you know where in Duluth they're moving? Or, will they be moving to a community outside of Duluth, like Hermantown, Proctor, Esko, etc? To expand on SmittyMN's list...

We moved from MPLS to Duluth 7 years ago and moved back two years later. Here's my list:

1. Have at least front wheel drive as rear wheel drive is not good on hllls in winter - Definitely agree!

2. If they have kids be prepared for lack of parks with playgrounds - Will depend on what area they move to.

3. No outdoor public pool that I'm aware of - Only in Cloquet

4. seems to be a lack of good mid priced homes for sale. Again, depends on where they're moving.

5. Clicky neighbors - Yes, so have them check out the neighborhoods first if they haven't already decided where they're moving.

6. Great proximity to outdoor fun (state parks and North Shore) - Agreed! A lot of fun things to do whether it's fishing, camping, boating, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, biking, inline skating, etc.

7. Several good festivals - Yes, there are. Unfortunately, not nearly as much going on as in the cities.

8. Wide range of dining options - Yes, but nothing like the cities.

9. Spirit Mountain - Winter & summer fun

10. Canal Park - A nice place to hang out when you're looking for something to do. The lakewalk, park point, watching the boat/ships come in and out.

Proctor, Minnesota
reviews: 61
4. Re: Top 10 Tips for someone that is about to move to Duluth?

I tried to edit my above post, but it says my time expired, so here's my "edited" version:

Do you know where in Duluth they're moving? Or, will they be moving to a community outside of Duluth, like Hermantown, Proctor, Esko, etc? To expand on SmittyMN's list...

1. Have at least front wheel drive as rear wheel drive is not good on hllls in winter - Definitely agree!

2. If they have kids be prepared for lack of parks with playgrounds - Will depend on what area they move to.

3. No outdoor public pool that I'm aware of - Only in Cloquet, but many places to swim with Lake Superior and local smaller lakes. A lot of great swimming holes in some of the rivers, too!

4. seems to be a lack of good mid priced homes for sale. Will depend on where they're moving.

5. Clicky neighbors - Yes, some can be. If they're concerned about this, have them check out the neighborhoods first if they haven't already decided where they're moving.

6. Great proximity to outdoor fun (state parks and North Shore) - Agreed! A lot of fun things to do whether it's fishing, camping, boating, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, biking, inline skating, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, etc.

7. Several good festivals - Yes, there are. Unfortunately, not nearly as much going on as in the cities.

8. Wide range of dining options - Yes, but nothing like the cities.

9. Spirit Mountain - Winter & summer fun!

10. Canal Park - A nice place to hang out when you're looking for something to do. The lakewalk, park point, watching the boat/ships come in and out.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 60
5. Re: Top 10 Tips for someone that is about to move to Duluth?

Thank you for your feedback and comments. I don't have the specific area/neighborhood in Duluth where they are looking to move yet. But your responses are really appreciated.

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
reviews: 149
6. Re: Top 10 Tips for someone that is about to move to Duluth?

I would also add that you'll need to wear an extra layer of winter clothing in addition to what they already wear here I used to live on the Great Lakes and the weather they pull in is FIERCE! They also don't have the skyway system like we do, so that means LOTS more outdoor time en route to wherever.

Edited: 2:53 pm, August 08, 2013
reviews: 19
7. Re: Top 10 Tips for someone that is about to move to Duluth?

I am a Duluth native who moved back 7 years ago after being away for 12. I think the first poster had some of the right ideas--front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive if possible if you're going to work or live near the hillsides or downtown. I'm surprised about the comment about not enough playgrounds--you can hardly go 5 blocks in the city without finding one. Maybe if you're outside of town, like Hernantown, where it's less walkable and more "suburbanized" and cul-de-sac-like, but Duluth itself has an amazing amount of greenspace, parks and playgrounds and the Lakewalk is AMAZING. If your friends are runners/bikers/roller bladers, it's 6.5 miles from end-to-end, super pretty and will very soon go all the way to Brighton Beach.

With great winter clothes, you can spend as much time outdoors as in the summer--cross country skiing is cheaper than downhill (although Spirit Mountain has some great prices for locals for season passes) and there is snow-shoeing and ice-skating, and the Lakewalk is maintained year-round for walking (which crazy people do, in the steam of the lake, when it is -10).

I think the biggest thing is that most of the houses here are OLD. The city grew up between 1880-1920, with another housing boom in the 50's. Any house from the 60's or later with a lot of square footage or master baths and the like are rare and therefore more expensive than in "younger" cities or suburbs. That said, ripping up carpet and changing paint and a few appliances is SO worth having a one-of-a-kind home that was built to last (the specs on pre-war homes were to last 300 years--for homes built today it is 75 years). Get a good home-inspector (or two) so you know if it's cosmetic fixes or needing a new foundation, but expect to pay more for a large yard or anything that looks like a McMansion.

We love, love, love to live here. It's worth the winters! It's a place people want to move, instead of a place people have to move to for a job. The schools are in transition (high class sizes, but good teachers), but we happily send our kids and keep complaining to the School Board. People here are very invested in Duluth, the schools, the culture. There is a crazy amount of theatre, a great symphony, ballet company, coffee houses, live music and microbreweries for a city this small. Good luck to them!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
8. Re: Top 10 Tips for someone that is about to move to Duluth?

This might sound cheesy, but I would suggest you read up on the history of Duluth. You likely know a little already (westernmost port on the Atlantic and all that), but the city has some fascinating history that might make you excited to explore it even more. I am in LOVE with Minneapolis but Duluth is a close second. And a lot of it has to do with the unique history.

Sioux Falls, South...
reviews: 2
9. Re: Top 10 Tips for someone that is about to move to Duluth?

I think Travelmamacita provided some good insight. I lived there for 3 years between 2007 and 2010, lived in the Twin Cities before and after. I fell in love with Duluth, and was sad to leave.

1. It is a little cooler than the Twin Cities, on average 15 degrees, although I do remember a couple summer evenings when it was even 40 in Duluth while at the same time in the 80s in Minneapolis. It is also a little windier. Weather can vary a surprising amount between the city down by the lake compared to the suburbs up over the hill. Side streets get plowed much slower.

2. If they enjoy the outdoors, they're in luck. If they don't, they should learn to. Pick up some activity. There is so much great hiking, cross-country skiing, downhill skiing/snowboarding, bicycling, fishing, etc. If you can't find a way to enjoy it, you're not trying. Enjoy the scenery. There are nice views every day whenever you're facing downhill over the lake. Appreciate it.

3. Sure it's not Minneapolis when it comes to the art, music, and dining scenes, but when I compare it to the other similarly sized cities in Minnesota and the surrounding area I feel that Duluth would consistently rank high in these types of scenes.

4. Like any city it has its rougher and nicer areas. If they don't already have their housing all set to go, definitely take the time to drive or even better walk around potential neighborhoods and get a feel for them (which would be good advice for moving to any new city I suppose). Everyone seems to look for something a little different out of their neighborhood than the next person, so find one there that fits them. The feel of the neighborhoods certainly will vary throughout the city and the surrounding suburbs.

5. Some of my personal favorite spots: Burrito Union, Fitgers Brewhouse, Hugo's (SW out of town a few miles), Anchor Bar (in Superior, WI), Saras Table, jogging at Chester Creek, hitting the slopes at Spirit Mountain, the festivals at the nice grounds right on the harbor, and Wisconsin point for getting away to a more secluded beach than Park Point (as in otherwise empty).

Davidsonville...
reviews: 77
10. Re: Top 10 Tips for someone that is about to move to Duluth?

Start reading up on Perfect Duluth Day website. http://www.perfectduluthday.com

There are tons of questions answered there all the time, places to go, where to find, how to, info on restaurants as well as current events and some ranting / griping.

Very helpful people there.

Edited: 7:45 am, August 27, 2013