We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tall Ships trip

Which Duluth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sd
reviews: 8
Tall Ships trip

We are two seniors, looking at coming to see Tall Ships. Perhaps it is unreal to expect...but what can you suggest so that we can see the ships and avoid traffic, crowds etc. Maybe there is a time of the day that is less hectic or streets that are easier traveled?

Is it necessary to stay in Duluth or how far out of the city can we drive back and forth easily. As you can tell we have no idea of how Duluth is laid out.

We want to have a good experience in your area so please suggest things that are "must see".

Is it correct that the festival begins on July 26th?

Thank you in advance,

LadyFeathers

Minnesota
reviews: 37
11. Re: Tall Ships trip

You might enjoy a stop at Leif Erickson Park - we stopped there a couple years ago just to watch the Tall Ships that were in the harbor at the time. Great view. But their landscaping it awesome! Hundreds if not thousands of roses in bloom and all very well cared for. It also had a beautiful waterfountain and gazeebo.http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g43018-d273823-Reviews-Leif_Erickson_Park_Rose_Garden-Duluth_Minnesota.html

I agree with the other posters that the Glensheen Mansion is not to be missed. It is one of my favorite historical homes in the entire country, very well kept.

Another thing we really enjoy is stopping at the Pickwick for lunch. It has huge windows looking out to the lake and I love, love, love the interior. Hubby and I are crazy for their walleye sandwich and onion rings. This is far from Grandma's down on the port where all the activity is but the parking is easy, the food is good, the view of the lake and any ship that happens to sail OUT of the port is awesome. IMHO you sound like hubby and me and I think you would love the Pickwick. Save room for dessert, a very popular ice cream place is right down the street but I can't remember the name.

urbanspoon.com/r/…Pickwick-Duluth

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g43018-d40…

Sd
reviews: 8
12. Re: Tall Ships trip

Thank you so much for you information on both Duluth and St. Cloud. Sounds like we could enjoy lots in MN. There is always something we miss so I appreciate Tripadvisor Forum so very much. LadyFeathers

reviews: 20
13. Re: Tall Ships trip

Leif Erickson Park has a lovely rose garden and is just beautiful. There is a "castle" stage and a good rock-throwing beach. You can park there (on London Road and 12th Ave E) or get there from the Lakewalk, which is definitely a must-see. Park Point has a fantastic sandy beach, but can be hot and crowded and you might get "bridged" (which can be kind of exciting but kind of long). Brighton Beach is a great rocky beach with a good amount of parking (35 N to Hwy 61 N, just as you "leave" town). Up the shore (take Scenic 61N, not the expressway), there are lots of overlooks and other rock beaches. North of Two Harbors you can visit Split Rock Lighthouse. It's 1.5 or 2 hours north of Duluth, but the drive is beautiful (if you're going that far, you may want to take the expressway to Two Harbors, which is a nice little town to visit as well.)

Duluth is also full of some fantastic architecture and amazing views and if you get away from the Canal Park area, it's super easy to drive around (and hard to get lost, with the lake out your window). If you're not going to stay long, at least drive Skyline Parkway from Piedmont Avenue to 19th Ave East--it's pretty well marked with green signs, but has a few intersections, so consult a map (exit 21st Ave W and follow signs--you'll want to go East on Skyline). Stop at Enger Tower, less than a mile from your turn off of 21st--even if you don't want to climb the tower, it has beautiful gardens and fantastic views. There are areas to pull over and take pictures all along Skyline. East of 21st Ave East and on 1st, 2nd and 3rd streets are some fantastic turn-of-the-century homes just to look at and envy (Duluth once had the most millionaires per capita in the US and they all built fantastic mansions). Keep driving East and towards the Lake to London Road and at 30th Ave East is Glensheen Mansion, which I think you would really enjoy. Gardens, a beautiful home and a murder that they won't tell you about...fun, and not actually spooky.

Have a great trip!! Everyone who lives here LOVES Duluth and will be happy to help you.

Annandale, Minnesota
reviews: 74
14. Re: Tall Ships trip

Absolutely take time, several days, to drive up North Shore. Grand Marais is a great place to stay. If time. Go inland to Ely area, great stuff to do.

15. Re: Tall Ships trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 28, 2014