We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't miss restaurants??

Which Duluth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Missouri, USA
reviews: 5
Don't miss restaurants??

Hello everyone! I am going to be in Duluth next week for five days. I would love to hear about your local favorite restaurants. Thanks in advance!

Missouri, USA
11. Re: Don't miss restaurants??

Just want to check out the scenery really. I appreciate a beautiful drive and interesting stops along the way. Thanks again everyone. Headed that way tomorrow!

Proctor, Minnesota
reviews: 56
12. Re: Don't miss restaurants??

arewethere, did you make it up the shore? How was the trip?

Missouri, USA
13. Re: Don't miss restaurants??

I am here in Duluth now and will head up the shore tomorrow. I took a walk down in Canal Park this morning, which was nice and relaxing. I'll post again later in the week to let you know how things went. Thanks much!

Midwest
reviews: 48
14. Re: Don't miss restaurants??

Here's another vote for the New Scenic Cafe. It's on old Highway 61 just a short trip north of Duluth. You'd get a chance to drive a bit of the north shore and have one of the best meals in the area.

Missouri, USA
15. Re: Don't miss restaurants??

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

I did manage a half day trip up the shore and it was the highlight of my trip! Something about water just soothes my soul. I went to Split Rock, stopped at a couple of waterfalls, had breakfast overlooking the lake and just enjoyed the beautiful state that is Minnesota! I did manage to get to several of the suggested restaurants including Grandma’s, Little Angie’s Cantina, the Duluth Grill, Sir Benedicts and Amazing Grace Café. I had planned to visit the New Scenic Café but ended up having to leave early.

I didn’t have the greatest experience at Grandma’s. We did eat upstairs and it is my understanding that the menu is different up there, so perhaps the better foods were downstairs. At any rate, the seagulls made us feel a little like we were in a scene from The Birds :). They weren’t the least bit shy about hanging out on the deck with us and one of my friends ended up with a feather in her drink. My husband and I have our own rating system for restaurants where the experience was not the greatest – 1. NEVER going back or 2. Maybe it was just a bad day, we would give it a second try. Grandma’s falls into the latter category. Next time, we would just stay inside and downstairs.

Loved, loved, loved The Duluth Grill and Little Angie’s! I went to the Duluth Grill for breakfast and had one of the best breakfasts I have ever had. I had the huevos rancheros skillet – excellent! Food was great, service was great and the staff, made you feel like you were a regular. Little Angie's was also very good. In Kansas City, we have had an explosion of cookie cutter/carbon copy Mexican restaurants, many of which have nearly the same (bland) menus, but have different names. Little Angie’s was a breath of fresh air and it was nice to get some Mexican food with flavor! Visited Sir Benedicts on a Wednesday evening and was treated to a bluegrass jam session! That was fun too and the food was good.

Now, the Amazing Grace Café was pretty disappointing. Something in my breakfast was sour, the service was extremely slow. The guy sitting next to me ultimately had to get his meal to go because it took so long to get. It wasn’t even that busy. This one fell into the “NEVER going back” category.

We ate at one other unique place called Tycoons. It is an alehouse with the usual fare. My burger was good but I’m not a beer drinker so I can’t speak to that. They also had live music (jazzish) and downstairs is a speakeasy! My fuzzy navel was quite tasty and overall the atmosphere was fun.

Thanks again – you helped make my trip quite interesting!

Proctor, Minnesota
reviews: 56
16. Re: Don't miss restaurants??

Thanks for the review arewethere, I'd like to see more of these on the forums for others coming into the area researching what to do. I use tripadvisor when we travel and other locations have a lot of great info.

I had never heard about the downstairs at Tycoons, so you gave me a little tip for my next night out!

Missouri, USA
17. Re: Don't miss restaurants??

pc350, it's the least I can do after all the help everyone provided. Enjoy Tycoons!

Minnesota
reviews: 39
18. Re: Don't miss restaurants??

I always felt that Grandma's is waaaaay overrated. Of course it has the great location going for it, that's obvious. But with so many other good places to eat I always suggest skipping Grandma's.

19. Re: Don't miss restaurants??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 15, 2014