We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please share your thoughts our our Duluth Itinerary

Which Duluth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sioux Falls, South...
reviews: 138
Please share your thoughts our our Duluth Itinerary

Sunday, July 28: Arrive late in the afternoon. Check in. Find a place to have dinner. Stock up at the grocery store after supper.

July 29: Split Rock Lighthouse, Gooseberry Falls (trying to leave town to avoid crowds at Tall Ship Festival)

July 30: Irving Ore Boat, Aquarium, Enger Tower after supper (Can we walk from the boat to the Aquarium?)

July 31: Maritime Museum, explore Canal Park and Lakewalk, Spirit Mountain Zip line

Aug. 1: Lake Superior RR Museum, beach on Park Point

We have elementary school age kids, so we'd like to move at a moderate pace, with free time after supper for swimming in the hotel pool.

I've been to Duluth once before, sans children, but it's been 15 years. I know the kids would not do well in Glensheen and we've been to lots of zoos. Is there anything else grade school kids might enjoy that I'm missing? Suggested itinerary changes? Thanks!

Edited: 5:16 pm, April 13, 2013
Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 17
1. Re: Please share your thoughts our our Duluth Itinerary

You can walk

The train depot is fun

Holiday Inn has two big pools.

Minnesota
reviews: 362
2. Re: Please share your thoughts our our Duluth Itinerary

That is very do-able. You should have plenty of free time each day.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
3. Re: Please share your thoughts our our Duluth Itinerary

Well, i see you are going to the railroad museum. Does that mean the kids like trains? If so, consider a train ride. Gorgeous ride:

northshorescenicrailroad.org/Home/Home.asp

affiliated with the museum

They do have a kids-oriented pizza train

Stillwater...
reviews: 8
4. Re: Please share your thoughts our our Duluth Itinerary

Spirit Mt also has an Alpine Slide they might enjoy.

Don't know how old they are, but I've never seen a kid who didn't like skipping rocks in the Big Lake.

Duluth, Minnesota
reviews: 11
5. Re: Please share your thoughts our our Duluth Itinerary

Looks good! You can walk from boat to aquarium! I think its great you are taking most of a day for canal park! Bring a change of clothes or swimsuit in case kids decide to go in lake or get wet in the street fountains.The alpine roller coaster at spirit mountain is fun...we haven't done the zipline. I recommend a late evening walk in canal park with a stop at the icecream shop on a warm night. I hope you are flexible in your schedule so you can hit the beach on the warmest and least windiest day of your vacation! I would recommend eating your dinner earlier like 4:30/5 ish since you are with kids...restaurants can get really busy at dinner time in Canal Park and waiting is no fun with hungry kids.

Edited: 8:07 pm, May 12, 2013
Sioux Falls, South...
reviews: 138
6. Re: Please share your thoughts our our Duluth Itinerary

Thanks so much everyone. I didn't know about the street fountains. The kids would like those. We are actually getting a hotel with a kitchenette, so we plan to eat in a lot (budget and child with special diet). If we were to go out to eat one night, is Grandma's still a good place to eat? Any other kid-friendly places that might be better?

Minnesota
reviews: 362
7. Re: Please share your thoughts our our Duluth Itinerary

Grandmas is great!

Duluth, Minnesota
reviews: 11
8. Re: Please share your thoughts our our Duluth Itinerary

Grandma's is yummy. Little Angie's Cantina has catered very nicely to my children when we eat there. The staff are very nice the kids, they have a step stool in the bathroom, and extra high high-chairs for outdoor dining. There are some fountains on the sidewalk right in front of Angie's Cantina and on one of the sidewalks by grandma's that my kids like to play in.

Proctor, Minnesota
reviews: 61
9. Re: Please share your thoughts our our Duluth Itinerary

For an evening snack, stop by Little Angie's and buy their chips and salsa to bring back to the hotel! Good stuff!!

If you're out hiking along the lakewalk and are craving ice cream, check out Portland Malt Shoppe on Superior Street.

Minnesota
reviews: 4
10. Re: Please share your thoughts our our Duluth Itinerary

Grandmas is over-rated, it has your typical bar food with a great location - but probably a very long wait for the dates you indicated.