We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a 3 night stay in duluth with a 5 year old

Which Duluth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
reviews: 1
Planning a 3 night stay in duluth with a 5 year old

have recently moved to mineappolis and am planning a 3 night 4 day trip to Duluth during the 4th of july weekend. We are a couple with a 5 year old and will be travelling with another couple friend who has a 3 year old .

I need help identifying a good place to stay that has something for the kids .

Am planning a day trip to park point and then will also visit the railroad museum?

What else would you recommend for adults and kids ?

Also where are the fireworks held in duluth ? Wouldnt want to miss that !

Thanks

Edited: 4:38 pm, March 20, 2013
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
1. Re: Planning a 3 night stay in duluth with a 5 year old

if it was just adults, I would steer you to something less in the middle of everything. But with kids, the hotels in Canal Park would be best. Easy access to the RR museum, park point, lots of restaurants around.

Also, make sure you take a drive north on 61 out of Duluth and up the north shore. Visit Gooseberry Falls and Split Rock, which is north shore for beginners and has things that will interest kids. Just beautiful country up there.

New Delhi, India
2. Re: Planning a 3 night stay in duluth with a 5 year old

Thank you so much for your help !

Any recommendations for hotels ?

New Delhi, India
3. Re: Planning a 3 night stay in duluth with a 5 year old

Also shud i book a hotel now or wait a month ? Would the prices go up or stay the same ?

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 15
4. Re: Planning a 3 night stay in duluth with a 5 year old

I've stayed at Sheraton, Holiday Inn, and Comfort Suites-Canal Park.

All nice with pools and close to lake walk.

Consider aquarium and zoo.

I second Gooseberry Falls - 25 miles up the shore.

Fireworks probably at dusk - 9:30 ish.

Book early.

Burnsville, MN
reviews: 2
5. Re: Planning a 3 night stay in duluth with a 5 year old

A popular hotel with kids is the Edgewater Resort and Waterpark, a short distance north of Canal Park. If you're interested, check out the room tips in the reviews. I think early reservations are a good idea. I believe the fireworks are over the harbor. There are even a couple videos on Youtube of it.

Silver Bay...
reviews: 8
6. Re: Planning a 3 night stay in duluth with a 5 year old

I live just north of Duluth and this is where most everyone I know always wants to stay when they come visit with their kids. We live in the area, but go stay here a few times a year just so our kids can play in the water-park.

http://www.duluthwaterpark.com/

Woodbury, Minnesota
reviews: 5
7. Re: Planning a 3 night stay in duluth with a 5 year old

I've stayed at The Edge a few times and find the rooms dirty. I would choose a canal park hotel over Edge. You'll be near the bridge to watch a ship enter. If going to Park Point beaches be sure to check local news in case the beach is closed for any reason. Fireworks are usually done at Bayfront Park, which is right next to Canal Park. You can also take a scenic train ride which departs from the train museum. Google North Shore Scenic Railroad. The zoo is nice for kids. It is a great suggestions to drive northeast on 61 to Gooseberry and Split Rock. Having been to both with my young son I would spend at least one night in that area (I like Grand Superior Lodge) as there are several other places to stop and explore Lake Superior's shoreline.

Stillwater...
reviews: 8
8. Re: Planning a 3 night stay in duluth with a 5 year old

I agree with Smitty, the rooms at the Edge are dirty and dated. In the winter, it gets very crowded there. Since you are going during the summer, there are many better places to stay, and if the children are into the water, there are plenty of places with pools.

MN/Athens is probably right with Canal Park, if you want to be right in town, but, with the kids being so young, you could opt for a place a bit up the shore that might suit the adults more, if you want to enjoy the outdoors that is.

New Delhi, India
9. Re: Planning a 3 night stay in duluth with a 5 year old

What places would you all recommend then ??

Saint Paul...
reviews: 5
10. Re: Planning a 3 night stay in duluth with a 5 year old

I would also go to the Coast Guard museum at the end of Canal Park. My kids have always enjoyed it. I always learn something It has a lot of interactive exhibits. At that time of year you should also be able to see barges going through the canal and into the harbor which any 5 year old (or adult!) loves to watch!