We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains, Planes, Automobiles and Pizza

Which Duluth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
reviews: 127
Trains, Planes, Automobiles and Pizza

We are a family of five (kids ages 6-11) planning on visiting Duluth this summer. We're interested in either doing a pizza/train ride or the Vista Fleet pizza cruise. I was reading reviews on TA and also looking at the Visit Duluth website, and I'm a bit confused by all the different RR operators and tours. Some get rather awful reviews. We're interested in a train or boat ride that meets the following criteria:

1. 2 hours or less in duration

2. clean facilities, bathrooms

3. nice scenery

4. would like a pizza option, but this is less important

Can you help me out? Thanks!

Woodbury, Minnesota
reviews: 5
1. Re: Trains, Planes, Automobiles and Pizza

I recommend North Shore Scenic Railroad which does have a pizza train. They also have decent facilities as well as an optional train museum that is pretty cool. I think the scenery is much better if you do the Two Harbors trip but that may be too long for you. You would however see more of Lake Superior and you could pack a lunch. Two Harbors has the Edna G tugboat tours and a lighthouse tour.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 18
2. Re: Trains, Planes, Automobiles and Pizza

I have only ridden t he North Schore Scenic Railroad tour -- the 6-hour to Two Harbors. Liked it very much. But I probably would be fired up about any real train ride nowadays in the age of Amtrak.

Yes, they do a pizza train on Fridays and Saturdays I believe as well.

And if you have people even remotelty interested in trains visit the Lake Superior Train Museum in Duluth. It's a national treasure IMO

Minneapolis...
reviews: 36
3. Re: Trains, Planes, Automobiles and Pizza

The Vista Fleet ships I have been on have always been clean and seem well staffed. Personally I'd skip the on-board food and eat at Grandma's Restaurant which will be very near the Vista docks. Three other activities you might want to check out would be the Lake Superior Maritime Museum (free admission), take a tour of the William A. Irvin freighter (small fee) and the railroad museum in downtown (moderate fee).

Duluth and the area are wonderful. Enjoy!

4. Re: Trains, Planes, Automobiles and Pizza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 17, 2014