We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good hotel for Book club expedition

Which Duluth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Midwest
reviews: 48
Good hotel for Book club expedition

My book club is reading Will to Murder about the Glensheen killings, and we decided a visit to Duluth would be a good way to enrich our discussion. We're scheduling one of the authors to meet with us and we'll have a visit and dinner at the Glensheen estate. I'm looking for a good hotel for about 15 people. Fittgers seemed like a good fit....old historic building with interesting rooms, some shopping possibilities...,but I haven't seem much in the way of reviews of it. Maybe we're better off in one of the Canal Park hotels. I see that the Comfort Suites Canal Park is rated pretty highly. Any advice?

Midwest
1. Re: Good hotel for Book club expedition

One more thing: Don't know how I missed this, but actually Fittgers has many positive reviews and is ranked 3rd right under Comfort Suites. So forget what I said about no reviews. Now just think about pros and cons of the 2 options. Thank you.

Edited: 11:42 am, January 12, 2013
Burnsville, MN
reviews: 2
2. Re: Good hotel for Book club expedition

Duluth has several great hotels. I haven't stayed at either; my last Duluth visit was at the Inn on Lake Superior, and I loved it. I'd be tempted to go the ambiance route with Fitger's as it fits in with the Duluth history angle.

As I understand it, the docents at Glensheen don't volunteer any info about the murders, but now they will answer questions about it.

Are you aware that Glensheen was the filming location for a murder-thriller that came out 5 years before the murders? Patty Duke starred in "You'll Like My Mother" but it's never come out on DVD. Thanks for mentioning this book; I've added it to my reading list.

Midwest
3. Re: Good hotel for Book club expedition

Thanks for the additional book tip as well as hotel recommendation. John DeSanto Sr Louis County prosecutor who prosecuted Marjorie and Roger Caldwell is going to meet with us, so hopefully we'll get some info about the murders as well as a tour of a historic home.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
reviews: 15
4. Re: Good hotel for Book club expedition

If you like a pool and free breakfast, the Comfort Suites is great.

I've stayed at Fitgers, but it's a bit too old for my taste.

Last time in Duluth I stayed at the Sheraton.

Awesome beds and service.

pkfan2617
reviews: 2
5. Re: Good hotel for Book club expedition

Have you considered a B&B. Duluth has the #1 rated Trip Advisor B&B in the nation: AG Thomson House. It's just blocks from the Glensheen.

Midwest
6. Re: Good hotel for Book club expedition

I've heard really good things about Thompson House, but I don't believe it has enough rooms for our size of group. (at least 10, maybe closer to 20.)

7. Re: Good hotel for Book club expedition

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 15, 2014