We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indian Reservation

Winchester,IN
Indian Reservation

In 1957, I went on vacation with my parents and grandparents to Backus. I learned to swim on the lake that our cabin was on and was taught by a group of little Indian boys. We were told that they were from the local reservation. Is there still a reservation in the area ? Any idea what tribe these Indians could have been from? I am thinking about a return trip to Hackensack, Backus and Bemidji area and would like to learn more of the local Native Americans of the 1957 era. Thank you for any help you can give me.

5 replies to this topic
Pipestone, Minnesota
reviews: 5
1. Re: Indian Reservation

We are sure happy to have you visit Minnesota. My husband and I do not live close to Bemidji, but we have visited that area. We live near Pipestone, MM - home to the Pipestone National Monument - which is a wonderful place to visit. You can look that up on the internet when the government pages are up and running. Our area, as with many different places in Minnesota, is full of Indian History. It will be easy for you to do research and very interesting. Pipestone had an Indian Boarding school 1892-1953. Our Museum and Historical Society have much information and pictures on the subject, as would the Bemidji Historical Society, I am sure. I work at the Minnesota West Community and Technical College which sits on the site of the old Indian School. Happy traveling!

pipestoneminnesota.com/museum/…

http://mn.gov/indianaffairs/tribes.html

http://www.bemidjistate.edu/airc/

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Leech_Lake_Band_of_Ojibwe

(Although I do not use Wiki for most information, this may tell you a bit about the Leech Lake Indian Reservation near Buchus.)

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 9
2. Re: Indian Reservation

Yes, the Leech Lake Reservation still exists and it's southern boundary is only about 10 miles north of Backus.

Winchester,IN
3. Re: Indian Reservation

Thank you very much !! I will concentrate my research around the Leech Lake Reservation. Learning to swim with "honest to goodness" Native Americans was truly an important event to me. The young boys would show up every day to see how the fishing went and to play. I would share our NEHI pop with them. I was not quite 5 years old in 1957 and dad was trying to teach me to swim while wearing a life vest. The boys would laugh which angered me so when dad and grandpa went out one morning in the boat I stayed to play with my friends. That's when they worked with me and taught me to swim without the vest. I also remember catching 1 1/2 - 2 lb. bluegills on a regular basis. Do they still grow them that big ??

4. Re: Indian Reservation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:11 pm, April 03, 2014

Burnsville, MN
reviews: 2
5. Re: Indian Reservation

Michael, most people on this forum ask questions, provide recommendations and substantive answers, not inane comments as I've seen in the 7 things you've posted today.

Reply to: Indian Reservation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Backus
Recent Conversations