We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which movie theater for Les Mis on Christmas Day?

Which Traverse City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 3
Which movie theater for Les Mis on Christmas Day?

Hi,

We are bringing my 83-year-old mother-in-law up to Traverse City (from Cadillac) on Christmas Day to see Les Miserables and have Christmas dinner at the Grand Traverse Resort.

We have dinner reservations at 5 pm and would like to go to the movie beforehand. Which theater will have the highest quality sound and stadium seating? We want to buy tickets in advance.

Thanks!

Traverse City...
reviews: 67
1. Re: Which movie theater for Les Mis on Christmas Day?

This is an easy one for us to anwer. The State Theater on Front St downtown is far and away the best spot to see a movie - unless it's in 3-D, which Les Miz is not. Wonderful old-time atmosphere, plush seats, excellent screen, and first-class sound system...my guess is that your mother-in-law will love it. There is no competition - But will they be showing this movie? Hope so, but I don't know yet. No info on the website, but you could try calling to see if they know.

Traverse City...
2. Re: Which movie theater for Les Mis on Christmas Day?

And if you have trouble finding more info, their website is "statetheatretc.org". But as with one of your previous questions, you might be too early to get the info you want. Check back later...

Traverse City...
3. Re: Which movie theater for Les Mis on Christmas Day?

Nope, bad news for us. Looks like we won't be able to see Les Mis at the State. Guess that'll mean a trip back to the mall...or to one of the Horizon cinemas.

Thompsonville...
reviews: 126
4. Re: Which movie theater for Les Mis on Christmas Day?

Neither of our theaters have Stadium Seating yet. Both have digital projection though :) We too plan on going Christmas Day!

Dallas, Texas
5. Re: Which movie theater for Les Mis on Christmas Day?

Is there any significant difference between the Horizon theaters? If not, we will just pick the one with the best showtime for our other plans.

Traverse City...
6. Re: Which movie theater for Les Mis on Christmas Day?

Yes, just go with the best time for your schedule. Enjoy the day!

Traverse City...
7. Re: Which movie theater for Les Mis on Christmas Day?

It's going to be shown at the GT Mall, with times of 1, 4:30, & 8. Now you can make those plans....

Traverse City...
8. Re: Which movie theater for Les Mis on Christmas Day?

Now I need to retract that Mis-info and tell you Les Mis will be shown at the Horizon Cinemas, and there will be multiple times. Here is one of several sites with the info...or you can search "Carmike Cinemas Traverse":

fandango.com/carmikehorizoncinema10_aajid/…

Dallas, Texas
9. Re: Which movie theater for Les Mis on Christmas Day?

We took in the first showing of Les Mis yesterday. Fabulous movie, but I think we would have enjoyed it better at the State Street theater. The people sitting behind us were lamenting the fact that State wasn't showing the film. The DLP video was good, but the sound was inadequate for a movie like this. It was too soft, and all came from the front, instead of surrounding you with huge waves of sound when the music swelled.

Nonetheless, I still had tears rolling down my face at the end. What a powerful story! I plan to see it again at a first class theater when we are home again in Dallas.

Traverse City...
10. Re: Which movie theater for Les Mis on Christmas Day?

Thanks for the report...We're going today! We are also very sorry that it's not playing at the State, where it belongs.