We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Tours

Which Traverse City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Wine Tours

Are there any good companies that do Wine Tours?

Traverse City...
reviews: 89
1. Re: Wine Tours

There are several companies, and if you do a search for anything like "Traverse City Wine Tours" you will find most of them. But really, the drive is so pleasant and they are so easy to find, that unless you have a large group, most people just do it on their own. Maps with vineyard locations are readily available, and the road up and around the peninsula is smooth and delightful. You will have a fine time...But of course if you are concerned about "too much to drink", then do check out one of those tours.

Good luck - and try to get up here for the colors. They're gorgeous right now!

Louisville, Kentucky
reviews: 3
2. Re: Wine Tours

Old Mission Penninsula is our absolute favorite! Playaguya is absolutely correct, the drive is absolutely gorgeous! Its always a must-do for us when we visit the area. Plan on at least 3 hours & enjoy!!

Traverse City...
reviews: 294
3. Re: Wine Tours

In addition to the comments noted above, go to the two primary wine websites for the area, as there may be some special events going on:

www.lpwines.com

and

http://www.wineriesofoldmission.com/

Also, check out this TA discussion on the wineries:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g42758-i320-k54572…

And that thread was posted before two new wineries (Blustone and Hawthorne) opened up.

FYI, http://www.michiganwines.com/ has a good brochure you can order or download. While it covers the entire state, it will have winery hours and other info that may be useful. Buried in that site is a link to get the "Vintage Michigan" cards--one of the best, unknown deals available. You pay a $15 one-time fee which offers you a discount at most of the wineries.

One additional comment: you don't say how long you'll be up in the TC area. There are lots and lots to visit (eight wineries, I think, on the Mission Peninsula alone, and another eighteen or so on the Leelanau side). Give yourself time... Not just because you might be schnockered after visiting several (heck, you can get blitzed just doing one visit at Leelanau Cellars), but also, for me anyway, after awhile wines start to "blur" on the palate. And, of course, the more time you give yourself, the more time you can enjoy each winery's unique vibe as well...from the stunning views at 2 Lads or Willow to the funky ambiance of Mawby's to the elegance of Brys Estate.

So, unless you're gonna try to blitz through the wineries, then I'd suggest you take the time to visit them on your own. The sites above will give you good information, and, if you swing by the TC Visitor's Center (right downtown) they have an excellent map of the entire Grand Traverse/Leelanau area that will help you, too.

Enjoy....and stretch your palate. Even if you don't think you'll like a particular wine, try it anyway.

Edited: 1:14 pm, October 01, 2012
Thompsonville...
reviews: 155
4. Re: Wine Tours

I just was on one on Friday with Celtic Tours. Our driver Larry was the best of the best! He call ahead for our bus of 30 and each winery was always ready for us even when we'd arrive a little early. We finished our planned stops early, and he was able to get us into two more on the fly.

I highly recommend looking into Celtic Shuttles and ask for your driver to be Larry!

Traverse City...
reviews: 89
5. Re: Wine Tours

Annabell - I didn't connect your 2 posts until now...and I see from the earlier one that you'll be here in November. There is a wine event that 2nd weekend you might enjoy called "Toast the Season." Here's a link to the TC events calendar, which will connect you to that and other activities...

www.traversecity.com/events/…

Interlochen
reviews: 30
6. Re: Wine Tours

http://gtwinetours.com/

This is the company we use with our packages and our guests rave about the wonderful staff and their knowledge of the industry

7. Re: Wine Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 14, 2013