We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new year's eve 2012

Which Traverse City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Villages...
new year's eve 2012

We will be in Michigan for New Year's eve. We will be with another couple. We would like to find a nice hotel & a very nice restaurant to have dinner & celebrate the new year. Help pleases

Traverse City...
reviews: 77
1. Re: new year's eve 2012

As with any tourist destination, I would always recommend you search the reviews of other tourists for dining and lodging right here on T-A, esp for hotels. And I'm sure others will chime in with personal resto favorites. That said, I will suggest The Wellington Inn for a holiday stay - they really do up the Christmas decor, and it is a delight. Even better, IMO, is the fact that it's not a hotel but a B&B... for that much more personal and homey touch that you might want at that time of year. Also, if you don't already know about it, come on downtown with the rest of us and enjoy the Cherry Ball Drop at midnight. This will be the 3rd consecutive year, I think, and there's been a huge improvement since their initial try. Much cheaper - for us anyway - than getting to Times Square...

Traverse City...
reviews: 283
2. Re: new year's eve 2012

A minor correction to Playaguya's statement in that I believe the 2012 (2013?) CherryT Ball Drop will be the *4th* consecutive year, if I'm not mistaken. While it ain't Times Square, it feels just as crowded! And I still remember the first year they held it: snow was falling like crazy and it felt like a classic northern Michigan winter night.

As for hotels, etc., it depends on whether you want to be right downtown or not for NY Eve. The Park Place Hotel is pretty much the only "hotel" option. Full disclosure: have never stayed there.) If you want something a tad more elegant, check out Black Star Farms between TC and Sutton's Bay. The rooms are very nice (yes, my wife and I have stayed there).

Food wise, the last two NY Eve's we've had dinner at Red Ginger then taken in the New Year's Eve movie at the State Theatre downtown. One caveat and one comment: the caveat: the last two years Red Ginger has ended dinner service around 9PM (meaning you must end your meal by 9) then they become more of a champagne buffet party scene instead. Comment: the movies at the State are scheduled to let you out just in time for the ball drop. Plus, the last couple years, the State has featured some quirky movie to show that night, so it makes the whole evening different and festive.

Otherwise, as suggested, check the restaurant ratings and call for a reservation well ahead of time.

One final comment if you decide you want to see the ball drop. Don't plan on being able to just pop into town a few minutes before. The streets are closed off around the big event so getting there would be a challenge unless you plan ahead.

reviews: 1
3. Re: new year's eve 2012

Holiday Inn West Bay is a great place to stay, especially on New Year's Eve. The hotel is offering a NYE package and there's a party in the night club, plus the hotel is within walking distance to the downtown CherryT Ball Drop.

Package:

http://www.tcwestbay.com/specials.php

Dinner:

tcwestbay.com/ap-special-events-1353956693.p…

CherryT Ball Drop:

tcwestbay.com/ap-cherryt-ball-drop-new-years…

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 4
4. Re: new year's eve 2012

I would second Park Place downtown and they have a restaurant as well, and also as a regular visitor to Black Star Farms i would highly recommend them as well. All though if you will be downtown TC and having dinner and drinks on NYE the drive back to Black Star probably wouldn't be wise IMO.

Cheers and enjoy TC!

5. Re: new year's eve 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 26, 2013