We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sports bar for football

Which Traverse City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids...
reviews: 4
Sports bar for football

We'll be coming to Traverse City this weekend, and want to know of a fun bar to watch college football on Saturday night. (MI vs. ND)

Anybody know of a good place with a decent beer selection?

Any brew pubs that would fit the bill?

Thompsonville...
reviews: 126
1. Re: Sports bar for football

Personally, I think the Sports Bar atmosphere is lacking in town. There are several bars with TVs on, but none that I would consider Sports Bars.

There is a BW3 out by the mall. There is a Hooter's on US 31 by East Bay. There is a place called State Street Grill on State Street in downtown that we've gone to watch games. We've also caught games at Seven Monks on Union Street downtown which has 40+ beer on tap. U & I is where the hockey team would go after games and that is on Front Street downtown.

Good luck and I'm curious what others say.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 39
2. Re: Sports bar for football

Minerva's at Park Place Hotel has some big screens, dont know about beer selection, it's probably decent.

Traverse City...
reviews: 259
3. Re: Sports bar for football

For a "non-sports bar sports bar" U&I (mentioned earlier) would be a good pick.

For the brew pub option, you could consider North Peak (on edge of downtown), or Jolly Pumpkin out on the Mission Peninsula. While neither is a "sports bar" in a traditional sense, both have will have games on TVs, decent brewpub fare, and offer good brewed-on-premises options.

Mackinaw Brewing (right downtown) might be another choice, but I haven't been in there in a looonnnggg while, so I don't know about their sports-on-TV capabilities. But again, not a "sports bar" environment, necessarily. A fourth brewpub, The Filling Station (outside of downtown) is definitely not sports bar material.

7Monks (downtown) was mentioned before and that's a choice as well. But 7Monks is not a traditional brew pub (i.e., they don't brew their own beer) but rather offer a wide range of beer options of various styles and options, plus a decent selection of Michigan taps as well. And vs. the four brew pubs I've referenced is probably the least "sports bar-ish" of the bunch--and food choices are a tad more limited at 7M as well (though what they do offer is quite good). That said, we happened into 7Monks last summer to catch the Preakness horse race. We didn't see it on one of the TVs and they were kind enough to put it one of the screens. So, if you're looking for a specific game, they might be accommodating that way (not that the other two wouldn't be either).

If football watching is more important than beer, I'd opt for the U&I Lounge (good gyros, too). If beer more important than football, see above!

Edited: 11:16 am, September 25, 2012
Traverse City...
reviews: 67
4. Re: Sports bar for football

I think most of the options have been covered...but the game in question was last Saturday. Maybe the OP will come back and tell us where they watched it. Otherwise someone else can save these suggestions for the next big matchup.

Gaylord, Michigan
reviews: 144
5. Re: Sports bar for football

Hopefully he wasn't a Michigan fan or he would have wished he didn't see the game.

Traverse City...
reviews: 19
6. Re: Sports bar for football

Even though this reply isn't timley for the posters purpose I figure I'd chime in:

U&I downtown is practically a sports-bar during game nights. The only place that has more TV's is B-Dubs by the mall but frankly I prefer the U&I atmosphere over that.

Another place I would try is the Tavern which is in the back part of Sheldes Grille on US-31 or the Bayview which is a bit further down US-31 (I think technically it is in Acme) Do note that for the Tavern you will NOT want to bring children with you. It is smaller, but a ton of fun. Mostly locals go there.

Wingers Sports Bar in the Holiday Inn is a good option as well (the service can be iffy however) and there are a couple nice large TV's in the ParkShore Lounge (attached to the ParkShore Resort on East Bay) which they play the games on (try their nachos if you go there! Enough to feed 2 people, easy)

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 110
7. Re: Sports bar for football

Buffalo Wild Wings will give you the best AV experience. Has at least 24 taps

Edited: 10:54 am, December 24, 2012
8. Re: Sports bar for football

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 26, 2013