We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visit In November

Which Traverse City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
First Time Visit In November

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Traverse City, MI the second weekend in November. We love to hike, bike, visit vineyards, breweries and just being outdoors.

What are your thoughts, suggestions on the best hiking, vineyards and other things to do and see while we are there (4 days)

Thanks!

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 57
1. Re: First Time Visit In November

Peninsula Cellars offers a great tour and their wine is amazing!

Leelanau Cellars is also great, but about 45 minutes north of Traverse City.

Traverse City...
reviews: 77
2. Re: First Time Visit In November

If you haven't been here before, you're sure coming to a great spot for the things you like to do - if the weather cooperates. Things can be dicey in November, as I'm sure you know. For the rest, the best you can do is the same as when we go to Chicago - Look at the "Things to Do" section here on T-A (There are several wineries and at least one brewery in the Top 10)...do internet searches (Lots of info available for hiking, biking, etc)...Get all the free brochures the hotels always have...and pick up a copy of the local happenings (Unlike Chicago, we only have one - The Northern Express). You might have a look at "Traverse-The Magazine" too. Both have online versions too.

You should have a great time - And don't forget about The Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. It's a gem, and less than an hour away...

Thompsonville...
reviews: 140
3. Re: First Time Visit In November

How funny! We are heading to Chicago about the same time :) Plenty of wineries to tour, but check for seasonal hours before you go as well as whether they will still be serving. I want to say a couple of the newer tasting rooms 'ran out' before the end of the season. A simple check of websites before you go should tell you.

Plenty of great hikes up at the end of Old Mission Peninsula through Conservancy land. Also my favorite trail at the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is the Empire Bluff Trail.

Think about taking in a movie at the State Theater downtown. Check out the various calendars (Traverse Magazines and Northern Express) are two of my favorites to see what special things are happening.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 39
4. Re: First Time Visit In November

Lots of great options-

hiking- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park- do the Pyramid Point Hike and Empire Bluff Hike. Both have amazing views. Also MUST do the Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive (if still open, closes for winter when it snows) In town near TC there are some great hiking trails behind building 20 of the Traverse City Village at Grand Traverse Commons (former state mental institution- must walk thru this building too!)

biking- bike east along the TART trail and it will take you down to the boardman lake, then bike back into town along 6th street to see the beautiful historic homes.

breweries- Right Brain Brewery, 7 Monks is not a brewery, but a taproom downtown with a great selection of MI beers. And a great atmosphere.

wineries- tons to choose from, but our favorites:

leelanau peninsula- black star farms, willow vineyards shady lane, mawby (for sparkling/champagne), verterra, tandem ciders (hard cider)

old mission peninsula- they are all great, but we like 2 lads winery, peninsula cellars, chateau grand traverse, chateau chantal

close to town- Left Foot Charley (in the Village at Grand Traverse Commons)

have fun!!

Traverse City...
reviews: 268
5. Re: First Time Visit In November

As for wineries, see the discussion here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g42758-i320-k54572…

During the second weekend of November, the Leelanau wineries will be holding their "Toast the Season" event. http://lpwines.com/toast/

As for hiking, I'll second the Sleeping Bear Dunes recommendations. It's a must-see. Here's a NPS website about the trails: www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/trails.htm

Of the ones on there Empire Bluffs is always popular and quite easy. But also consider Alligator Hill and Bayview, weather permitting.

For biking, there's a short (5 mile) paved bike trail within Sleeping Bear, or you can bike from Traverse City to Sutton's Bay (15 miles, one way) on the recently paved Leelanau Trail. Fairly level, though you won't have water views en route. traversetrails.org/trail/leelanau-trail/

As for breweries, you have four brew pubs that serve food (North Peak, Mackinaw, Filling Station, Jolly Pumpkin), plus one that doesn't brew their own beer but has an extensive beer list (7Monks) and food as well. Also in the mix is the newly relocated Right Brain Brewery, but it's beer-only there, no food (I believe).

You'll have plenty of options to fill your four-day visit!

Saline, Michigan
reviews: 14
6. Re: First Time Visit In November

As others have mentioned, do NOT miss Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore - the whole area along M22 is amazingly beautiful and not to be missed!

Chicago, Illinois
7. Re: First Time Visit In November

Thank you all very much for this. We are looking forward to visiting!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 4
8. Re: First Time Visit In November

As a 3 time a yr traveler from Chicago to TC over the last 10 years...

I second the Pyramid Point trail at Sleeping Bear... Our favorite

As for wineries our favorites Bowers Harbor, Black Star, and Left Foot Charley

others have been mentioned and are great as well.

As a craft beer enthusiast for almost 20years, I recommend Jolly Pumpkin on Old Mission, and Right Brain. New ones I haven't been to but have heard good things are the Filling Station and Brewery Ferment.

As mentioned, 7 Monks Tap room all though not a brewpub has a great selection of craft beers on tap.

Great Italian food at Stella at the Village (same location as Left Foot Charley)

9. Re: First Time Visit In November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 09, 2013