We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn renovation

Which Traverse City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gaylord, Michigan
reviews: 144
Holiday Inn renovation

Finally, TC will have a decent, waterfront hotel within a short, walking distance of downtown. Holiday Inn West Bay has been sold. ValStone Partners LLC will invest between 3 and 5 million in renovations to rooms, common areas, restaurants etc. International Hotels & Resorts will manage it and renovations should be finished by next summer.

There have been lots of mixed reviews for this property in the past but now, hopefully, it will be much-improved.

Traverse City...
reviews: 69
1. Re: Holiday Inn renovation

Much improved, but to what end? Unless you're planning to stay there and want to get one of the sure-to-be more expensive rooms, I'm not sure for whom it will be an improvement. Those rooms will be nicer,and there is sure to be a more luxurious restaurant with higher-priced food and drinks. We'll have to wait and see what they lose after all of the renovations...and if it will be another example of "good for (some of) the tourists, bad for the locals." I'm hoping that won't be the case, but I have my doubts.

Gaylord, Michigan
2. Re: Holiday Inn renovation

Well, hopefully it will be a better representation of Traverse City. Didn't sound like it's been a place where I would want to stay. The reviews stated that the rooms were dated and not very clean and there were management issues. Let's hope the new owners will make it a place that people will be pleased with.

Chicago
reviews: 164
3. Re: Holiday Inn renovation

usually holiday inns (at least the HI express', anyhow) are pretty decent....i wonder why this one was lame?

Edited: 1:24 am, September 17, 2012
Gaylord, Michigan
4. Re: Holiday Inn renovation

I find more of the regular Holiday Inn's need updating so we stay at the HI Express, which are usually newer or updated. Same issue with some of the old-standby hotels, I think, such as Ramada??

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 955
5. Re: Holiday Inn renovation

I stayed at that HI in TC several years ago and it needed a facelift, then. Well, maybe a whole makeover. Hopefully they will make it a very nice hotel, without putting killer rates in place. You simply can't beat the location. And I hope they do not take away anything they do offer-the beach, the boat rentals, etc., as playaguya states. A lot of locals do visit the music venue (s?) there, as we have on several occasions, whether staying at a hotel, camping or with our friends that live in TC.

Traverse City...
6. Re: Holiday Inn renovation

Yep, you hit it spot on, TT2. You can pretty much count on the rates going up- the "summer special" at a couple of spots on the bay farther up US-31 was $199/nt, so I'm guessing it will be higher. But that is of course problematic for the tourists. My concern is that what both the tourists and the locals have enjoyed - the live music (esp The Bohemians!), the Patio deck in summer, Shimmers inside during the colder months, the Nauticat sailings, etc - will be lost. We'll see....

Gaylord, Michigan
7. Re: Holiday Inn renovation

Well, all of us will just have to meet on the patio deck next summer and decided for ourselves :)

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 955
8. Re: Holiday Inn renovation

Excellent idea, N! That is what we will have to do for sure.

We'll have to remember to find out if they will be serving "our" drinks... ;)

Gaylord, Michigan
9. Re: Holiday Inn renovation

I'll certainly look into that tyme. If not we'll go somewhere that does.

Traverse City...
10. Re: Holiday Inn renovation

If they're serving "your" drinks and if it makes any difference, you can bet they'll be considerably more expensive. The word is that the new management is doing away with music, and that much of the waitstaff has left. I hope it's not true or that if it is, it's just a transition phase and not something permanent....