We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging near Sleeping Bear Dunes

Which Traverse City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Lodging near Sleeping Bear Dunes

Next July, my family of 4 is taking the Badger Ferry from Wi to Ludington. We will stay Friday night in Ludington. We then have 3 nights to stay somewhere between there and Traverse City. I don't want to go all the way to Traverse, then back track to Sleeping Bear Dunes. Thought ideally, we coudl stay 2 nights near the Dunes, then 1 night in Traverse. From there, it is on to Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island. Open for any suggestions.

Thanks

Traverse City...
reviews: 282
1. Re: Lodging near Sleeping Bear Dunes

Can't comment on lodging near Sleeping Bear Dunes, BUT when you say you don't want to back track "all the to Traverse" recognize that you're talking all of thirty minutes. Depending on what type of lodging you want--and meals--you'll be seeking, staying in TC wouldn't be a bad option, necessarily...especially given that you're planning three nights there.

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 57
2. Re: Lodging near Sleeping Bear Dunes

Glen Arbor, Glen Haven and Leland are close to the dunes and have some dining and shopping options. You could stay in any of those cities before heading to Traverse City. TC is roughly 45 minutes from the dunes and the National Lakeshore. The three cities I mentioned are all about 10 - 15 minutes away from the dunes.

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 57
3. Re: Lodging near Sleeping Bear Dunes

I should mention Frankfort, too. While it's about a half hour from the dunes and lakeshore, it is on Lake Michigan. The views from Frankfort are breathtaking and there are also a lot of dining and shopping options. They have a movie theater (very small!) in town incase you get rained out one day.

Edited: 9:15 am, August 28, 2012
Thompsonville...
reviews: 144
4. Re: Lodging near Sleeping Bear Dunes

I might suggest you check out Crystal Mountain Resort and Spa. They are about 25 minutes from the south end of the park and about 40 minutes SW of Traverse City.

There are also the Harbor Shores Condominiums in Frankfort. And a few mom & pop places along US 31 in Benzonia and Honor.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
reviews: 14
5. Re: Lodging near Sleeping Bear Dunes

We liked the Homestead. Full resort with several different accommodation options and very close to SBD.

http://www.thehomesteadresort.com/

chicago
reviews: 21
6. Re: Lodging near Sleeping Bear Dunes

Crystal mountain is an excellent family resort

What about camping? We camped Dh day campground can't beat the location

Midland, MI
reviews: 11
7. Re: Lodging near Sleeping Bear Dunes

The Homestead in Glen Arbor; Crystal Mountain east of Benzonia. Both are Family Resorts. Otherwise, B&Bs in Glen Arbor. Frankfort is a very good option worth considering. I agree on not going into Traverse.

Fort Gratiot
reviews: 1
8. Re: Lodging near Sleeping Bear Dunes

Check out Maple Lane Resort. It's located between Big and Little Glen Lakes and is under new management. Toured it last month and it was very impressive and affordable.

Mentor OH
9. Re: Lodging near Sleeping Bear Dunes

My family and I are heading to Sleeping Bear Dunes for 4 days or so. Kids range in age from 9-16. We'd like to have adventures during day and then eat out and let kids swim at night in pool. Where should we stay near dunes and how should we spend our time? Do you think we could do Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive AND dune climb one day? Riverside tube float/canoeing on Platt River second day? Glen Harbor shopping one day? and what else must we see? We haven't been away in a while and would like to have fun while not breaking the bank! Any help is appreciated.

Fort Gratiot
reviews: 1
10. Re: Lodging near Sleeping Bear Dunes

You can absolutely do Pierce Stocking and the Dune Climb in one day. They are very close together.