We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TC, Sleeping Bear, & Leelenau - Best Fall Color Suggestions

Which Traverse City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 15
TC, Sleeping Bear, & Leelenau - Best Fall Color Suggestions

My husband and I are staying in Northport 10/21-10/24 and want to hike and bike and see the wineries and fall colors. We'd like to do Sleeping Bear Dunes one day, and Traverse City and Old Mission on another. Looking for suggestions on the best hiking, biking, and driving to see the fall colors in all their glory.

Kalamazoo Michigan
reviews: 36
1. Re: TC, Sleeping Bear, & Leelenau - Best Fall Color Suggestions

This site will have the "driving" tour - look toward the bottom for Traverse/Northport: michigan.org/Places-to-Go/…Default.aspx

Here is a link regarding Deadman's Hill, Pierce Stocking and other northern Mich hiking trails. All very nice;

www-personal.umich.edu/~jensenl/visuals/album/2007/northernfall/

Good luck!

Edited: 7:34 pm, October 02, 2011
Wisconsin
reviews: 137
2. Re: TC, Sleeping Bear, & Leelenau - Best Fall Color Suggestions

We were just there yesterday and it was glorious. Some areas are a bit ahead of others depending on the type of trees. We tried to do Barb's Bakery and the Gem Shop, both unfortunately were closed in Newport when we got there (later on Saturday). It seemed like a pretty little town.

Michigan
3. Re: TC, Sleeping Bear, & Leelenau - Best Fall Color Suggestions

I believe the poster above meant Northport, not Newport.

Here is the official website for the Slleping Bear Dunes http://www.sleepingbeardunes.com/

I think the Pierce Stocking Drive is a must-see. There are no bike trails (yet; there are some coming) but there are good hiking trails as written above.

If you are doing some wine touring on the Leelanau penninsula, you will also see some great fall colors. Some of my favorite color tours are on the backroads around Lake Leelanau.

Wisconsin
reviews: 137
4. Re: TC, Sleeping Bear, & Leelenau - Best Fall Color Suggestions

Yes, Newport refers to Door County, WI, Northport, MI was the one I meant. Allow enough time for Pierce Stocking. We got there towards the end of our day and didn't have the one hour to do it. SBD was an add on so I'm glad we saw it, but we did a disservice to it by not allowing enough time. The drive was lovely, I think rivaling the Tunnel of Trees we took two days before.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 4
5. Re: TC, Sleeping Bear, & Leelenau - Best Fall Color Suggestions

If you are in Northport, Leelanau State park has great trail to hike and you are right on the lake...

Sleeping Bear is great too we always enjoy Pyramid Point trail

Austin, Texas
reviews: 39
6. Re: TC, Sleeping Bear, & Leelenau - Best Fall Color Suggestions

In addition to the Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive, I'd suggest the Empire Bluff Trail and/or the Pyramid Point Trail as well. For color in this area that weekend, I think Old Mission Peninsula will be your best bet for the best color as I went all around the TC/Sleeping Bear Dunes area the weekend of Oct 15 and the color is fading fast. We found the best color on Old Mission Peninsula and also driving up along M-22. Have fun!

7. Re: TC, Sleeping Bear, & Leelenau - Best Fall Color Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, October 25, 2012