We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in heaven (south haven)

Which South Haven hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
reviews: 32
one day in heaven (south haven)

weather was too good today not to head to SH for a little bit of fun.. Perfect weather (85 and sunny). Town was not very crowded, "yeah" for us, "boo" for shop owners. anyway, the beaches were great as always. gosh I LOVE SH beaches. water was clear and very "refreshing". refreshing as in "still too damn cold". but I stayed in long enough to look like a prune when i came out (no comments RONO ). took a quick trip for refreshment into town. Capt LOU's at the tiki bar, watching world cup soccer ,,,,,doesn't get any better than this. then onto CHANNEL WINE BAR...always have a great time and somehow always end up meeting the most interesting people here. ALWAYS HAPPENS !!!!...then off for a final "pop" at the IDLER, siting in the sun on the river is heaven. today was one of those days that make life worth living !

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 927
1. Re: one day in heaven (south haven)

Well, you are one happy camper after a visit to SH. Good for you.

I bet Rono comments----lol.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 5
2. Re: one day in heaven (south haven)

Stop. You are making me too anxious. We leave next Saturday for South Haven. It is our first trip to Michigan. We will be coming fro the hot, humid weather of St. Louis.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
reviews: 12
3. Re: one day in heaven (south haven)

So you missed the dingy parade? Also the Yacht Club was open to the public today. BTW the water has creeped into the 70's I may go in tomorrow.

(Psst I think people become more interesting when I start drinking wine also)

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 120
4. Re: one day in heaven (south haven)

Forecast for today is more of the same, maybe a bit warmer!

We're dropping off the girl at ballet school camp and heading for the big lake. Husband says we should set up camp first (always the practical one), but I say the heck with that--I'm going to freeze my tail feathers off in the lake before I start toiling over a tent!

Back in two weeks with a trip report to follow.

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
reviews: 32
5. Re: one day in heaven (south haven)

hey, LUV2.....you guys ok????? bad storm :(

Michigan USA
reviews: 3
6. Re: one day in heaven (south haven)

Rog,

Obviously I'm not LUV2, but thought I'd let you know that once again Lake Michigan and the lake bank/dunes'protected' us from the storm pretty well.

After the initial wind gust from the front of the storm, the winds weren't too awful. A few branches down here and there and maybe some bigger dead limbs, but nothing terrible like you all in GR and those farther East. There was plenty of thunder and lightning, unfortunately it wasn't the pretty, streaking lightning that I love watching come in over the lake.............

We did get 1.7" of rain though, so LUV2 might have been washed out if they are really tenting. :-(

BTW, glad you had a nice visit. Downtown bars were hopping until late Saturday night!!

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 120
7. Re: one day in heaven (south haven)

Hi! Yep, we rode out the storm fine. We were at Van Buren State Park. Several tents were blown down, but we were tucked into some trees and were fine. Really glad I did a good job with waterproofing the tent before we left!!! The big storm was actually the second one of the morning so I squeezed making some fancy gourmet french toast on the camp fire between the two downpours. The sky got so black before the second storm that it was like night time at the campground. That's when we abandoned the tent and took shelter in the car.

We arrived at our rental in Holland today and driving around this area I can see the storm hit a lot harder here than it did in South Haven or Saugatuck. Lots of BIG trees down. Daughter spent time in the basement of the dorm she's staying in at Hope College during the storm because the winds were so strong there was concern about windows being broken. A big tree came down by her dorm and the power was off for a short time, but nothing too bad.

Looks like some big storms possible this week along with some seriously hot weather coming. Glad I'm in a house with air conditioning for the last phase of the trip!! Husband and I hope to do more biking so I guess it'll be in the early morning before the heat of the day hits.

We're having A LOT of fun and daughter is loving eating/breathing/sleeping ballet at Hope. A good west Michigan break for us all.

I'll do a trip report when we return!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
reviews: 29
8. Re: one day in heaven (south haven)

Sounds heavenly, Socrog! Two weeks and I will be enjoying Lake Charlevoix! My daughter, son and husband are in Germany this week and my youngest and I are going to bake here in NJ. "Refreshing" water sounds excellent right about now! Moms

9. Re: one day in heaven (south haven)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, October 05, 2012