We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For "Rono", re: Northport/Omena area

Which South Haven hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
For "Rono", re: Northport/Omena area

Rono,

We have vacationed in the Glen Arbor area for the past 20 years or so, have rented directly through the Homestead Resort, years ago, when it was cheaper, and most recently through the rental companies, that have units there.

Our three boys have grown up with summer vacations along the shores of Lake Michigan, and last summer, stayed at a beach house a block from the Lake in Glen Arbor, it was great.

Of course we have been to Leland, fish town, etc., glen haven, the coast guard museum area, the dune climb, everywhere, art's tavern, everywhere in glen arbor, my now 15 year old son, even played the piano, at the Western ave. grill when he was about 8 during dinner, to draw quite an applause.

This summer, we are financially strapped, as my husband, age 74, I am 56, as of the 28th of July, and we have looked at a couple rentals in Omena and Northport, along the bay. Are you familiar with that area?

We want to bring the 9 month old Boxer pup "Moses", with us, and there a couple of rentals along the bayside. I know the bayside is more rocky, but one of the rentals is in the "Cherry Homes Northport Subdivision", which is a bit of a walk to the beach.

One of the rentals is in Omena, bayside, just north of Suttons Bay.

Are you familiar with the area?

We were asking for a big discount, a home, 3 bed. 2 bath, with washer and dryer, and linens provided available for aug. 9th for a week at $1440.00 a week including all taxes, etc., but they would discount to

$1200.00 plus all fees. We have three six foot tall, 190 lbs. sons, and a dog, do you think we would like it there?

I have been to Northport only once in the past 20 years. We love Glen Arbor, and Leland,

Are you familiar with the Cherry HOmes Subdivision in Northport?

Do you think we would like the Omena beachhouse area?

3 bedrooms, two baths, washer dryer, linens provided. dog allowed. waterfront.

We are somewhat on a limited income, due to my husband losing his job 18 months ago, paying extreme amount for insurance through COBRA, which expires tomorrow. I just broke my wrist monday night, my birthday! Have a brace on it now, after seeing Dr. Today.

Our boys love the Lake. And we do too.

We are used to the awesome Lake Michigan beaches at the Homestead, and the beaches at the private rental homes in Glen Arbor.

I would appreciate any comments or info that you could provide if you are familiar with the area of Omena, just north of Suttons Bay.

I know that the bayside of the Lake is a bit more rocky, But it isn't far from the west shore of Northport.

I am going to wait til maybe friday to call again, to see if the house is not rented and if the owners will discont to $1000.00 plus tax and fees.

I just broke my wrist monday nite, and got it treated today, with a removable cast.

Any comments will be appreciated.

We love Glen ARbor, leland, Fishtown, Art's Tavern, Glen Haven, the Dune Climb., etc.

I realize that most of your comments are with regard to the lower area, regarding South Haven, etc., but if you are familiar with the areas I have mentioned, I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

MG

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
reviews: 14
1. Re: For "Rono", re: Northport/Omena area

MG Beachy, if I could I'd meet you there and carry your bags in. I'm afraid I don't know that area. I'm very familiar with SW MI and the Charlevoix/Petoskey area but rely on others for the Sleeping Bear to Northport areas. We stayed at Homestead for the first time last fall. There are some very knowledgable people watching the Michigan forum though so hopefully someone can help. My first thought was Momstravel but I believe she is vacationing in that area as we speak.

I pesonally don't go north for the beach, but rather the air and the feelings. I can't explain that but for me its a frame of mind that I find there. So I imagine if its clean, doesn't leak in the rain and I can't get a cell phone signal, I'd probably consider it.

Illinois
2. Re: For "Rono", re: Northport/Omena area

I can appreciate that, when I travel towards Glen Arbor, always put the soundtrack in to "On Golden Pond", the piano music is awesome, the sounds and scenery are indescribable.

Our cellphones don't get reception up there. Don't even let the boys bring theirs along.

I love the Big Lake, the beach, the total beauty of it all.

We are hard pressed this year, and most likely won't be able to go, but if we get a huge discount will go for it.

First year in 22 years without a vacation if we don't go, boys go back to college aug. 23rd. Youngest boy starts 2 a days for football the 13th., which he can miss, if we get to go.

My husband lost his job a year and a half ago, is 74 years old, I just turned 56 on monday, living on soc. sec. and unemployment, house is paid for, no debt, but with two in college, have to be frugal.

But may be the last family trip we can make as next may oldest son graduates from college, and may very well have a full time job, hopefully, that is.

thanks anyways, for your commments.

mg.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
reviews: 31
3. Re: For "Rono", re: Northport/Omena area

Well, I know all too well the wonders of a Northern Michigan vacation. I just came in from watching the sunrise over the South Arm of Lake Charlevoix! Ahh, lovely! I am indeed vacationing this week and much to my surprise I have 5 bars on my cell phone and my aircard works on my laptop. Times have changed. Last summer the only cell phone reception available to me up here was located on a stump next to the beach! (and required either an outstretched left arm or leg to get reception!)

I don't know Northport well but I have visited Omena and think it is very charming. It is centrally located to all of the activities available on the Leelanau Peninsula. The west side of the west bay is a bit rocky but I would opt for a bayside house in Omena over a house in Northport that requires a long walk or even a drive to the beach.

While the Homestead is wonderful as is Glen Arbor, it could be an adventure trying somewhere new that is so close to your old favorites. I would head for the house in Omena and enjoy the adventure. Just think, from that vantage point you can be enjoying a sunrise view in just two weeks time! I, on the other hand, will be back at work dreaming of my next trip Up North. Moms

Illinois
4. Re: For "Rono", re: Northport/Omena area

Moms, thanks for the reply. A bit of a strain trying to type with left arm in cast.

I believe I have some of your posts here.

I think you have posted on the Glen Arbor Forum?

I appreciate the comments about Omena, but I will wait til tomorrow to see if the owners will discount the rate even more.

With me breaking wrist, and yesterday we found out we were turned down for insurance, more bad news.

So, now we have to apply with someone else for medical coverage, tomorrow, no medical insurance for me and boys. Scary.

We love Glen Arbor so much. Last year we stayed in a beach house rental, and it was great, normally we stay on the beach at the Homestead.

Thanks for the advice, and you too, Rono.

MG

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
5. Re: For "Rono", re: Northport/Omena area

My goodness, MG. Are you sure you want to spend the money on a vacation right now? So many things to think about. Doesn't your husband's old company allow you to have COBRA benefits for medical insurance?

Well, as this is a travel forum, all I can say is good luck with all of the job related issues and good luck with your trip planning. If you are able to find an owner willing to offer a discount for rentals and it is financially doable for you, go ahead and have a great time. I know I found very few available rentals here when I was looking several months ago, let alone owners willing to discount. I hope you are successful.

Yes, I love to post about Glen Arbor, Leland, Charlevoix and Traverse City (Mackinac Island too, which is where we head on Saturday for my birthday!) I hope you get back on your feet (and arm) soon and enjoy the rest of your summer whether it is down state or up north! Moms

Illinois
6. Re: For "Rono", re: Northport/Omena area

Well, Moms, it appears that there will be no way, short of a miracle, that we will be able to go anywhere, We found out this morning that the little saturn coupe that my son will drive tomorrow to Joliet to bring his girlfriend here for the weekend, needed repairs to the tune of $900.00.

The Cobra insurance coverage expired today, so, the boys and I are now without medical insurance coverage. My husband is signed up with Medicare though.

This will be the first time in 21 or 22 years without a family vacation, and as I said, oldest son will graduate next May, and probably will have a full time job.

We have been very fortunate that our older sons always want to go with us.

Now, today, we have problems with our van. So, yep, it is doubtful that we will get farther than Belvidere, Ill., to do anything.

Our home is paid for, no other real debt, just money in a money market acct., for college expenses.

I hope that all of you have a great summer,

Thanks for the replies, both to you Moms and Rono,

My best to both of you.

MG

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
7. Re: For "Rono", re: Northport/Omena area

With the parade of horribles being visited upon you, you are wise to stay home. Good luck, Moms

8. Re: For "Rono", re: Northport/Omena area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, October 07, 2009