We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Haven 'To Do' List

Which South Haven hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis
reviews: 1
South Haven 'To Do' List

Hi. We are a family of 6 vacationing in S. Haven during the first week of July. We would like to sail, ride bikes (in town and on the Kal-Haven Trail) and horseback ride during our stay.

What are the best places to make our sailing reservations/bike rentals/and horseback riding arrangements? Anything you can suggest that is a 'must do' would be appreciated!

Thanks.

E

Destination Expert
for South Haven
reviews: 178
1. Re: South Haven 'To Do' List

well since i am mostly a beachaholic i'm probably not the one to answer this...there was a sailing boat that advertised off old harbor in town, shaul sails I think it was but I don't remember seeing it lately....i found a http://www.catsmeowcruises.com/Packages.asp that you may want to ck out but I know nothing about it...there are sailing classes on black river in the summer but they seem mostly for little kids....there was a place by old harbor where you could rent jet skis but it changed hands and i'm not sure if it's still there

the kal haven trail is wonderful...i've just walked it but lots of folks bike it...

my to do list usually just includes beaching, antiquing, sunsets, cocktails, grilling, shopping and walking the beach!! I do like renting a kayak from a rental place on dykman (just over the bridge heading to north beach)...on a glassy day this is a wonderful way to enjoy the lake! My other suggestion is to try the web site (bythebigbluewater.com) for more info.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
reviews: 14
2. Re: South Haven 'To Do' List

Outpost Sports Flizzer? I think they have bike rentals as well. Nichols hotel and maybe Rock n Road Bike shop.

It seems like Shaul Sailboat rides are popular, and possibly Friend's Good Will at the Maritime museum(a big schooner) also maybe Cat's Meow (catameran).

Michigan Theatre (If it's raining )

Our Town Player (local plays)

Gingerman Raceway

Golf

Farmer's Market (Wed and Sat till 2pm)

Maritime Museum

Walk from the South Pier through town to the North Pier.

St. Louis
3. Re: South Haven 'To Do' List

Thank you for your replies! We are looking forward to a vacation that allows for a lot of wandering/exploring. I think the spouse and I will head to the wine country circuit one afternoon and allow the teens to fend for themselves since I've rented a house close to town.

Keeping my fingers crossed for good weather!...oh, and I understand South Haven isn't having fireworks on the 4th...Where would you suggest we go on the fourth and what sort of scheduling should we plan on to make the fourth fun? I do hate traffic, but I know we're heading to a tourist infested area!

Destination Expert
for South Haven
4. Re: South Haven 'To Do' List

no fireworks?? too bad they are really spectacular over the lake...but the one time i came during that week it was wall to wall bodies on the beach and wall to wall traffic as well!! I made the mistake of getting in my car to go to the store after...holy cow!!

I hope you're staying where you can walk to everything...that is the best way to handle SH in the crowds!!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
reviews: 14
5. Re: South Haven 'To Do' List

I think the fireworks are on the 6th(a local radio station plays music to coincide with the fireworks.). There's an art show in the park on that day as well. St Joseph has the same fireworks and will probably have them on the 4th or 5th but I've been unable to determine that.

St. Louis
6. Re: South Haven 'To Do' List

Alas, we are going to find another fireworks display for the 4th. I see Saugatuck has a display as well as towns south of S. Haven. My concern is sitting in traffic for hours. Our vacation rental ends on the 5th in S Haven.

Destination Expert
for South Haven
7. Re: South Haven 'To Do' List

no kiddin fireworks on the 6th?? geez thats got me thinkin it might be doable for me...even as a day trip...i love that show in the park!! don't buy much but it's fun to walk around and some folks really sell ART!! and not just stuff...

good tip as usual rono!!

Michigan
reviews: 6
8. Re: South Haven 'To Do' List

I would have to say that two "must do's" would be visiting Sherman Dairy Bar for ice cream and Clementine's restaurant downtown - both places your teens should enjoy, too.

9. Re: South Haven 'To Do' List

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, September 29, 2009